Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Outback XT hard start & rough. Timing marks off a tooth

So I picked up a 2008 Outback XT that won't run. It has 172,000 miles. I got it to start for a couple seconds. It ran horribly rough, smoked and wouldn't rev at all then stalled. And made a rattling sound. So I took the cam belt covers off and find the timing marks are off by a tooth on 2 cams. So given the out of time situation can I assume there has been valve to piston contact? Or is worth putting a timing belt kit in it and see what happens? Looks like plugs are impossible to get at without lifting engine. I know a compression test will tell the story on valve condition but hard to get in there, Thanks 

Edited by Marathonman
  • Like 1

Nah, cams need to get at least 4 or 5 teeth (about 45 degrees of crank rotation) before you risk pistons hitting valves.

Doesn't mean it didn't happen before and someone put a belt on to try and fix.

Plugs are not impossible.  Just tricky.  Slip the spark plug socket in first, then slip a 3/4" socket to grab the hex on the top of the spark plug socket.

You will need a compression tester with a fairly long hose though.  No using the rubber tipped push in type (they suck anyhow)

Thanks! That sounds encouraging. And I'm definitely the first one to get in there so no fear of previous mistakes. So do you feel being off a tooth will make it run bad and start hard? So install new belt kit and cross fingers right?

Edited by Marathonman