Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'16 Crosstrek dead at 54k miles

Yeah, she's had a couple different 2017-2018 Foresters through their rental program. But it was picked up by a tow truck on the 25th of Feb. She had her car back for 2 days after the valve started rapping the first time, cause she couldn't make it back till then

Well, dealer called and said ' a belt ' was making noise and that they had compared the noise to another similar car and all was well but replaced the belt..  Go to pick the car up and there is no paperwork, just keys. That's weird. Demand paperwork from the guy and he prints out the previous work order thinking I'm that dumb and wouldn't notice..  Tell him nice try, and then he points to an amendment at the very bottom as a B+ that says my mom stated a belt was making noise and they replaced it, but didn't actually show a part number or proof it was replaced ( but the serpentine belt is new )

I told her just to accept the car and she wasn't getting any farther with the dealer.

On the drive home, car was whisper quiet, so I knew they did 'something' but a serpentine belt wouldn't make the noise it was. A mechanical noise from within the valve cover does not come from a belt..

But mostly home, the noise had returned..  So she's just going to lemon law the car. I'll talk her into an older used car that I can fix if needed. She'll end up way ontop. 2008 Forester or something similar