Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Has anyone ever swapped and awd drivetrain into an older Japanese sports car?

Jhowey

So I'm looking into putting an sti awd drivetrain into something like a datsun z car. Any one have any experience with this, I'm almost positive there's never been one in a z but Wyatt about other rwd sports cars? I understand there would need to be some fabrication to the front anbd rear end, most likely I would swap the entire front end in, and I understand there would probably have to be some custom shift linkage as well. Where I'm confused would be the electrical, what kind of computer do these engines ruin? Can they be set up to run stamd alone? What about A.C.? Any experience with installing A.C with an engine swap like this? Would I be better off trying to pick up a drivetrain already pulled out of a sti or should I find a donor car? Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

If you can manage custom metal cutting, welding, bashing, massaging and measuring then the electrical will be a breeze.

Yes stand alone or find someone to prep a complete harness for you. General Disorder just posted who he likes to use in another thread this week. I’d check that out and see if it can handle forced induction and valve controls if necessary for the engine you choose.

avoid later immobilizer equipped ECUs.

Way too much work, for nothing. Terryjr on RS25 is building a tube frame buggy that idea's could be adapted to something like this but it's a lot... Really the biggest hurdle is the wheels being so far forward on a Z car, there would be no place for the engine 'out front' like that and if you did get it to work, it would not handle at all.. The only way to AWD a car like that is with a setup like the Skyline Atessa system where it has an AWD transfer case and a front differential.. Skyline- Z car swaps have been done as such it is actually possible.

• 1 month later...

Subaru engines have been done in RWD cars, many times. But yea, the Subaru drivetrain requires the engine be completely in front of the front wheels. I think by the time you placed the transmission so the front diff was in the right place, you'd have no room for an engine.

But yea, it's just fabrication. Completely possible, with time and skill (both can be substituted with money), but it's going to take a lot of both.

Luckily, a Z-car uses an r160 rear differential, so the rear suspension shouldn't have to be modified, just swap in the appropriate ratio diff, and carry on. But the front is going to be a project.

People have done STi swaps into almost everything. Wiring is extremely well documented. '04 STi won't be immobilizer, so using the stock ECU is relatively simple. Newer stuff has been done, but with the immobilizer, requires matching at least the gauge cluster and ECU, probably more. Again, this is all well-documented.

Yep, A/C, totally doable. Usually all you need is controlled off the ECU. Usually the mechanics of mounting a condenser, accumulator, expansion valve, maybe evaporator, running lines is the hard part. With all the electrical work that needs to be done, you won't even noticed the few extra wires for A/C.

Major swaps are always easier with a donor vehicle. You know you have everything, and you know it works. But piecing it together is possible, too.

www.jdmfsm.info