Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No longer available plastic parts

There are several threads on this, and links to drawing files. The problem to date is that 3D printing at consumer/small business level does not leave a factory-quality finish, and requires refinishing. That said, I can see some opportunities in gen 1 and earlier (especially 360, R2 (Star), and so on).

• Like 1

very cool, hope you get to make some stuff for your car!

Files for the parts are what is lacking.

How are you going to get the files?

There’s so few old gen subarus that the market is tiny. In my opinion and experience - Make a range of parts and plan on selling it over the next 5-10 years and you might fare okay, help some old gen Subaru people and have some fun.

A one off group project of a part or two in a couple months is likely to die a long slow agonizing death.

• Like 1

I make the files for parts at work. So I can make models of whatever part. No, the parts don't have a finish like injection molded parts. Some of that can be done by hand after printing. I figured maybe the older generation stuff might be more of a problem to find. I'd need a sample to make a good model of a part. Wasn't expecting to make a business of it.

3D printing plastics can't be transparent right? or can it?

because i just paid $350 for a pair of 78-81 brat tail lights New old stock still in the box from 1982 from the other side of the world in Israel.

agree with idosubaru, make a bunch, about 50+ pieces and slowly sell them.

seems that the most needed pieces right now are brat tail lights for first and second gen, and front corner lights for first and second gen. there may be a few old Subaru's still out there, but the few that are still out there are in desperate need of old parts including myself, hours and hours of surfing the web searching for the little parts there are remaining.

even 3rd gen there seems to be a lack of corner lights, i had 7 good pairs of corner lights and a few driver sides, im all out of stock on them in less than a month.

Edited by Subasaurus

They do have clear filament for the printer. I'm sure it would not be window glass clear, but it would work for lights. Got to see if I can find tinted clear plastic.

The handy thing about having the printer is that i don't have to make a big run of parts. Once I have a model, make parts to order.

Those trim cups, probably could make those. So far I hadn't had any crumble, so I didn't know they were a problem.

all the ones i've had also turned into dust like carfreak mentioned,

ill be glad to place an order,

-a pair of 2 interior door handle trim cups for an EA71

-a pair of front corner lights for an EA71, they don't have to be the same transparency as the originals, but as long as theres a pair, and they both look like they have the same wear to each other, no one will ever know.

-and a pair of front corner lights for an EA81

Edited by Subasaurus
  • Like 1

Does anyone have one of those trim cups? I need one to measure and make a model from. As long as the overall shape is correct, it doesn't need to be perfect.

Sane for the lights. What color is the plastic they are made from? I've found clear abs so far. Still searching for red and amber tinted clear. I also have the same problem - I need a sample one to make a model from. Even a cracked one would work, as long as there is enough to know the important surfaces and points, etc.

i do have a pair of first gen brat tail lights to ship to you for free dave so you can make copies of it, they are the old ones from my brat, passenger has a small crack and the drivers side is missing almost all of the amber part of the turn signal, but perhaps flipping the amber on the other side you could make it work.

i do not have trim cups for a first gen, well i do but theres only about 10% of the cup remaining around the screw that holds it, its pretty much non existant

i do have both corner lights from a second gen, and yes the whole corner light is clear/transparent since the turn signal on this vehicle was located on the bumper, drivers side has a hole in it though, but i think you can still make it work by the sounds of it, but i would want the original corner lights back, but i don't need the brat tail lights back.

as for the corner lights on a first gen, my good pair went on my 79 wagon that i sold last month, i am now stuck with a pair of broken ones on my brat with quite a bit missing.

Edited by Subasaurus

I'm in for two tan and two grey EA81 door handle trim cups.  I can send you a pair to model off of, there is a L and R, but you could probably alter the models so one part could fit both doors.

The door handle trim cups are one of those parts that has gone bad on EVERY EA71/EA81/EA82 that wasn't garage-kept.  You WILL sell these once folks outside the USMB find out they're available.

Edited by carfreak85

If the left vs right pieces are literally that, the software can mirror them.

The colors - a spool of the plastic costs about $25.00  That makes a fair number of parts, depending on the size of the part.  But I can't afford to buy a whole slew of colors right out of the gate and only make 2 parts per color, so we have to figure out something...

Not trying to make tons of $ either,

There are a good selection of colors available, but of course, they are not likely to be exact to factory.

I'll invest the time making the models, figuring out the tricks to get them to print reasonably well, etc.

I could make test samples from [cheap] plastic I have for you test fit.  PLA plastic will deform in temperatures that can occur in a car in hot sunny weather.

For the lights - I'm thinking just the lens part?  Or the back reflector also?  Have to be 2 pieces anyway.   Will one fit inside a 7" cube?  Or at least sections that could be made as separate parts to be assembled?

I found clear tinted plastic that looks good for lights / lenses, so those are possible also.

To keep the cost of these low, I figure the buyer can do the finish work, that way you spend as much or as little time as desired for the finish desired.

The lights / lenses will be interesting to figure out.  When you print a part, it matters a lot which way you plan the position in the printer.  The printer starts at the bottom, and prints layer by layer,  The nicer finish is on the top, last layer printed.  Anything that overhangs air needs consideration to make it come out even half way decent.

Probably best to start with smaller things first.  I have to see one to be sure, but the trim cups should be do able.  I'd also like to see one of the smaller lights first, unless the shipping of all vs one makes it silly.  But those will take more time.

Those are my thoughts so far.

I have to make a small dice size block and reckon it would be a cool learning 3D design project, but will be making it the old fashioned way - by hand.

It is for a power window assembly. A white nylon cable guide that is dice size and has a slot each side to slot into a flat pressed component.

Starting with a large chunk of machineable nylon

Just a note that 1972 to 1977 door handle trim cups do not, in my experience, ever completely degrade like the later versions. They were only available in black, not matched to trim colours like those after mid '77, and are incredibly robust. Whatever changes were made to colour the plastic means the sun basically cremates them over time.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, jono said:

Not in my neck of the woods it ain't :)

@jono, would you be willing to pick up, say, four LH door handle interior trim pieces in tan for me and ship them to the US?  I'd be more than happy to compensate you for your time and effort.

Edited by carfreak85

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:54 PM, carfreak85 said:

@jono, would you be willing to pick up, say, four LH door handle interior trim pieces in tan for me and ship them to the US?  I'd be more than happy to compensate you for your time and effort.

Sorry, meant it is not the drivers side in my neck of the woods. Our Australian dealers source from japan if needed. Neither part is available to us, no matter what colour or side. Sorry, you are another victim of my writing style

• Sad 1