Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Loyale wagon. Driveshaft AT and MT

Yes they’re different as a whole. The driveshaft is a two piece assembly. The rear half is the same for all EA82. The front half differs in length due to transmission length. The MT is shorter so an MT driveshaft front half is longer to make up that difference. Otherwise they’re the same.

Sometimes people say “driveshaft” and mean axle - if that’s the case those are interchangeable between the two but axles are turbo or non-turbo specific, but there are some benign axle variations even if they’re interchangeable.

Edited by idosubaru

Yes they’re different as a whole. The driveshaft is a two piece assembly. The rear half is the same for all EA82. The front half differs in length due to transmission length. The MT is shorter so an MT driveshaft front half is longer to make up that difference. Otherwise they’re the same.

Sometimes people say “driveshaft” and mean axle - if that’s the case those are interchangeable between the two but axles are turbo or non-turbo specific, but there are some benign axle variations even if they’re interchangeable.

Sorry, I probably should have said propeller shaft. I see how that could be confusing. I the transsmission side length make sense. Thank you for responding and answering my question.

Yep. So if you need the rear half they’re all the same. If you need a complete assembly or front half then it’s trans specific.

Nah you said it correctly, driveshaft is most common. I was just checking. that doesn’t happen often and seems like it happens less than it used to.

Nah you said it correctly, driveshaft is most common. I was just checking. that doesn’t happen often and seems like it happens less than it used to.

Hehehe... Us Aussies typically know a drive shaft as a "half shaft", or CV shaft is another common name from the gearbox to the hub. The driveshaft mentioned above is known as a tail shaft or prop shaft, not typically as a driveshaft...

Always interesting.

Cheers

Bennie