Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Broken frame 84 Subaru brat:/

Well I finally killed my car. I broke the rear drivers side mustache bar from the frame and it took a chunk with it. Anyone have any patch ideas? John bloom said I’m fucked and get a new chassis. Anyone have any advice? It’s a wheeler and I can fabricate.

Edited by PA Grown

Okay first idea I had was to get a 44inX37 in 1/4inch steel plant and bolt a 48 in long 2 inch square beam to it and drop that into the bed where the original frame ran. the frame on the other side and bolt my mustache bar to that. And boom. Opinions? Better than a broken brat.

Anything that replaces the broken section of rail or spreads the load along more rail would be the best option.

To me this is a relatively easy fix. I've not heard of this issue before though. Usually the mustache bar bends before the mounts for this bar start moving - sounds like there's something else at play :/

The square bar would be easiest fix I reckon, probably wouldn't look very nice but really how many people are going to see it?

Cheers

Bennie

Oh it’s an east coast rust bucket. But the worst part was the exhaust leak and it corroded the hell out of that section. So time for a little redneckery. I’m just hoping the bolts on that broken section come off without me having to drill it. Anyone know what size drill bit to go get to drill out some rusted chassis bolts?

I ended up going with an almost full square tube frame and remounting everything to that. It added 2 inches of lift, and sure stiffened up the body twist that the extra rust had created. Once I got started, it was way easier than expected. Definitely worth the effort if you are already going to have to figure something out.

Someday the body will rust all the way off my now shiney frame. It is a first gen body, but the running gear is now EA81/EA82.