Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2011 outback 2.5 needs coolant bypass pipe o-rings and manifold gaskets

I have 2011 outback 2.5 with 78,xxx miles . Coolant was changed at 75,xxx miles and now my coolant outlet- under intake manifold is starting to leak, and needs coolant bypass pipe o-rings and intake manifold gaskets.

1. How common is this?

2. How much should this cost? Dealer asked for arm AND LEG.

3. They said I can wait until it gets worse and keep adding antifreeze, but I’ve read this can cause engine damage. WHAT THE....

4. I am disappointed in this car and the dealership for giving me bad information verbally, and different printed information.

I have taken excellent care of this vehicle. It literally looks like new, and has been serviced regularly.

Can I take it anywhere? Or should it go to a dealer only.

TIA,

AMY

Easy job. Drain coolant, pull manifold - takes about 30 minutes. Replace o-rings. Clean gasket surfaces, replace manifold.

At a shop this should take no more than 2-3 hours and the gaskets are about $20 for all of em. From the dealer.

$350 tops. And thats a pretty high estimate.

Dealer is one of the WORST places to take a Subaru.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Yeah that's a 2-3 hour job at most. Find a reputable Independent shop that works on Subarus.

that. 

as long as you don't allow the engine to overheat you'll be fine.  don't worry about "serious engine damage".  it's not mystical - it either overheats or it does not.  that will only happen if the coolant gets too low. 

that being said - keep topping off the radiator coolant level (always when the engine is cold) . do this at the radiator cap, not the overflow tank. 

• Like 1