Ultimate Subaru Message Board

82 GL No power to the fuel pump after Fuel Pump Swap

Hey everyone. I recently picked up my 82 GL which previous owner had swapped a Weber onto, but did not upgrade the pump, as many Weber conversion sites recommend. The pump was working, but not keeping up with the demands of the carb and the bowl would run dry if the car was at an uphill angle. I swapped in a carter p4070 high flow, low pressure pump in, and even rewired the factory plug so it used the factory harness, but the pump will not run. I can hook direct leads up to a battery and the pump runs great, and the car loves it best I can tell, so I'm under the impression I may have burnt a fuse or fusible link out, but I'll be darned if I can find where one for that circuit is, even in my old chiltons manual.

I know these have a fuel control module that can be known for being problematic, but it doesn't quite make sense why it'd just go bad like that after just switching out a pump, unless they are known for being that delicate. I think if I can't find a fuse or a fault in the circuit, I may just resort to an independent relay with a fuse to a run position power source

Up under dash, sort of behind the fuse box, there should be an inline fuse holder with a tag that says fuel pump.  5amp.

That is for 81's with glass type fuses and external reg alt system.

For 82, with bladed fuses, it should be the fuse #11, for choke and fuel pump.

Is the tach wire hooked up to the coil?  82 system will not operate fuel pump if no tach signal present.

Edited by Gloyale

Thanks Gloyale!

I'll have to search for that fuse holder, nothing in the box was labeled fuel pump or choke in mine. I ended up wiring it in independently to a relay, and was able to do it a) pretty cleanly,and B) in a completely reversible way. So I may revert to stock wiring at some point. I was able to put a meter on the wires, and it looks like I was getting about 1.5 volts to the pump off the stock harness, so I'm thinking maybe there is something else at play. Good news, I have a working fuel pump. Bad news is it didn't cure my problem. Still starving out going uphills, I'm starting to think I've got an issue with the pick up in the tank.

• Like 1

You need to get that fuel pump wired correctly so that it shuts off if the engine stalls. Having it on an ignition switched relay is dangerous. If you're ever in an accident and don't or can't shut the ignition off and there's a fuel leak, things can go very bad very fast.