Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 Subaru Legacy 2.2 not turbo automatic transmission problem

So I recently pulled a blown ej22 out of my 90 legacy and. Left the original trans in it. I replaced it with another ej22 from a parts car I got for free and the motor from the parts car has 49,000 original miles. Motor runs like a raped ape . The tranny was acting funny before the motor blew but thought I'd put the new motor in and go from their cuz I'm not thinking it's blown but could be a solenoid or sensor etc... So when I start to drive the shift from 1st to 2nd is kinda hard nothing to out of the ordinary. Then the shift from 2nd to 3rd is smooth but almost feels like it kicks back to 2nd. It will only shift into higher gears when at higher speeds. Reverse takes a second and a review of the motor to fully engage. And recently if I downshift manually it isn't being slowed down by the motor but acts like it's in nuetral. Also sometimes i only have 1st and reverse and won't shift out of 1st. I'm really hoping it's something simple but I'm not holding my breath. The fluid looks fine a little dark but not bad, doesn't smell burnt.

• Like 1

Short answer:

Change ATF, clear out hoses and passages and install AT filter.

Is the AT or check engine light on?

Is the AT pan dented or damaged?

Explanation:

Some early legacies had an issue with debris clogging the ATF lines. The repair was to install an ATF filter.

Drain the ATF and clean out the ATF hoses and radiator cooling passage to make sure they’re free flowing. Then add an aftermarket transmissiom filter or see if Subarus special part or TSB part is still available.

If yours has this filter already installed then replace the filter.

Check the transmission pan for denting, the clearance between the pan and pump inlet is really small so if the pan is dented it can draw enough fluid.

Solenoids could be damaged as well if the pan is dented though you’d typically have lights on for that

Is the AT light ever on or flashing?

Any check engine lights?

By cleaning out the lines, that can be done by taking an air hose and blowing them out correct?

The trans pan is dented a little bit, so I think I'll replace that. I've never seen an AT light on or blink. But their is a check engine light that flashes. What's is this TSB part you mentioned? Are tranny filters expensive? When draining the trans how much fluid should I buy and would you recommend using something like Lucas stop slip, or Barr's Transmission repair. Also I noticed that the manual light on the dash doesn't work along with the button itself. Could this be a contributing factor.

Lastly, after all that is checked off if it could be a solenoid or sensor... Which ones could be the cause and how would I check them to be working?

If the pan is dented up, fix that first.  Drain the fluid, drop the pan and straighten it back out.  The external filter kits were on some Subaru's.  You'll find the filter up on the Driver's side of the engine compartment.  

The screen in the trans is just that, it's just a screen.  No need to change it.  

Grab 3 or 4 gallons of DEX III, Walmart is fine.  Drain, Fill, and pull the upper trans coolant line.  Run a temp line into a gallon jug.  Start the engine, let the trans pump out about 3/4 a gallon.  Turn it off, fill the trans, repeat until the fluid is coming out clean.