Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just got a free 1984 GL Wagon with 4wd, 4 hi/lo

Really stoked, may be able to get it licensed today.  Sat a few years, needed an alternator belt, and a minor exhaust fix, fires up and runs great.  If I had an ultimate car it'd be this.  It's my second, but as far as simplicity, can't be beat, no timing belts or chains, no fuel inejection or high pressure pumps, just a carburator, and clutch.

28577145_10216057344456113_231583206014828576049_10216057345216132_4450844131311

• Like 2

Just was living at the property I live at.  The guy was using it for storage, had been his cousin's, nobody cared.  Got it licensed today.  Can't really pull much acceleration uphill on mountain roads in 4th at 50, nothing, gotta gear the little thing down, but they seem to like to rev fine.  It's definitely less power than the 93 Mercury Capri I'd been driving, but it has enough.  At 60mph in 4th there's a little acceleration available.  I get the feeling it wants to run at 3 grand more than 2.

Regular ethylene glycol is fine.  The most important thing to monitor is the condition of the radiator and all of the cooling system hoses.  Not just the upper and lower radiator hose, and the heater hoses, but ALL of them.  How many other there are depends on the engine model.

+1 on ALL coolant hoses.    I would just run a good quality dino-oil.    I use Delo 15-40.  It has all the military specifications.

In a few months, buy a Weber 32/36 carb.   You will be pleased with the results.   The 35 year old Hitachi carb has ran its course.

• Like 1