Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 Outback with a 2006 transmission. axle doesn't fit

So it sounds like the Wheel Hub has a different spline pattern/size?  The 2001 has pressed in front bearings and the 2006 has bolt in ones.  I don't know if the wheel hub would transfer.  I doubt if the entire knuckle would work.

Hopefully someone smarter that me will answer your question.

What is the reason you have to use the 06 axle?  I checked Rockauto and compared the 2 model years.  Length is a little different but the main concern is the number of splines outboard end.  I would think you could use part of one axle and outboard end from the other.  Don't know why the 02 axle unmodified would not work. 

Using a 2006 knuckle will render your ABS inoperative as the wheel speed sensors are different set ups.  You could try installing it and splicing the wiring and hope the the signal and tone ring count are the same.  And won't it change track width and alignment since the axle and knuckle include the track width changes from 04 to 05 models?

CV side - 06 has bolt on wheel bearings and different ABS, 01 has press in bearings.

Trans side - 06 has stubby shaft, 01 has receiver style and the stubby shafts are in the transmission. 

Possibilities (not sure this works but similar swaps have been done for conversions/etc):

1. Install the stubby shafts into the 2001 axle. 

The 2001 stubby shaft just pulls right out of the transmission.  stick a screw driver through the axle pin hole and pop on it with a hammer and it pops right out, just a circlip holds it in place. 

If you then insert that 2001 stubby shaft into the 2001 axle it might then be identical to the 2006 axle and slide into the 2006 transmission if they didn't significantly change the front diff.  you could check diff parts through online subaru website or a good local dealer and see if they changed or are the same. 

2. Swapping the 2001 CV end onto the 2006, but that's much more difficult and you might destroy your axle trying.

Don't know why the 02 axle unmodified would not work. 

02 is like every other 90's subaru's and XT6's - it slides onto the stubby shaft in the transmission. 

on 06+ the stubby shaft is part of the axle, not the transmission.  axles slide into the transmission. 

• Like 2

The 2001 axle is a female end and cant connect to the 2006 trans. 2006 trans needs the male end.

i just said that. 

have you tried putting the 2001 stubby shafts on the 2001 axle - that is your best chance of working.  i didn't think the outer CV would work due to the major overhaul of the knuckle and control arms. 

looks like the differential didn't change, as I suspected: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-1999-2016-SUBARU-Impreza-Forester-Legacy-CENTER-DIFFERENTIAL-ASSEMBLY/202153582774?fits=Make%3ASubaru%7CModel%3ALegacy&epid=1437891804&hash=item2f114ae0b6:g:7HAAAOSwRbtaOwdE

so the stubby shaft spline count/length is all the same. 

so if the bearing/carrier supports are the same, the method I mentioned has a good chance of working. 

and you won't have some wonky ABS, alignment/track mismatch. 

The differential/trans case is the same part number:

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2006_Outback-Base-25L-4AT/CASE-ASSEMBLY-CONVERTER/49240274/31220AA220.html

Differential is the same:

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru__/CASE-DIFFERENTIAL/49248101/38421AA021.html

Roller bearing looks to be the same (legacy/outback confusion notwithstanding):

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru__/ROLLER-BEARING/49287344/806340080.html

The seal and retainer changes part number:

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru__/OIL-SEAL/49287529/806730032.html

There's a good chance the seal changed part number due to the retainer change rather than a shaft change.

Compare the ID of the seals or the OD of the shafts and you'll know.

That's what I meant about checking subaru part numbers.

Edited by idosubaru

The 2006 stubby shaft will not fit onto the 2001 axle. I tried that already

That's not what I said - reread what I wrote.

install the 2001 stubby shaft into the 2001 axle and then slide the 2001 axle into the 2006 transmission.

check ID of seal and OD of shaft where it rides on the seal. 

I explained it all above in the parts information.  The 2001 axle+2001 stubby shaft may be identical to the 2006 axle with stubby shaft already installed. 

Guys I appreciate your help. It at least this gives me something new to try. I'll have to try and find another 2001 stubby because the transmission got trashed. I didn't know the stubby from the 2001 could come out. 

Yeah they just pop right out.  post in the parts wanted forum or ebay or something.  i've had numerous ones available at times, but not now.

Same part since the 1980's used in a zillion Subarus so should be readily available.

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru__/SHAFT-AXLE-DRIVE-------------------------2WD-TURBO--4WDEXC/49248096/38415AA100.html

$45 from discounted subaru suppliers. 

Subaru part number:  38415AA100

Wow I really do appreciate this information. Is there any thing I should know about putting the stub back in. I noticed the stub has a retaining ring at the end of the shaft. Does that pop back in by force or is there a certain procedure?

Oh dang that’s terrible. I’m sorry you did that particularly since we don’t know for sure it works.

The upside is they’re expensive because there’s such low demand and they’re a high quality part. They never fail so people never need one.

I would measure them at the dealer or test fit there so you can just return them if it doesn’t work.

New dilemma. I'm going to have to change the seal as GeneralDisorder said I might. The outside diameter is the same, which is a good thing, but the 2006 has a high point on the back of the shaft at the knuckle housing. The 2001 stubby axle is straight and has no high point. The gear splines and diameter are a match between the two so I just need to swap the seal. QUESTION Can this seal be taken out from the outside of the differential or do I have to take the differential off and do it from inside out. From what I can tell from you tube I believe it can come out from the outside on this model but I'd rather hear it from the experts. Any help is much appreciated. Dave

From the outside. No messing with the diff.

You have to carefully mark the exact location of the outer seal plate. Count the number of turns to remove it and swap seals. Then reinstall the plate the exact same number of turns and original location to retain the pinion backlash and bearing preload. Otherwise you’ll need another trans if you screw that up.

Those seals are directional so there’s a right and a left.

all the 04 and earlier are like that and I’m almost positive 05+ is as well but it’s lost in my mind. If it’s different it’ll just pull out and pop the new one in. Still easy.

There’s a special tool to remove that plate. Fabricate one that’s close, I think there’s a pin socket that can be made to work or use a hammer and appropriate “punch”, preferably not too narrow or pointy or too big to sit flush or you’ll crack the tabs off. Some tap off okay and others are beastly to get going.