Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 Outback with a 2006 transmission. axle doesn't fit

I'm going to try to get at it again today. I had family in from out of town over the week end and didn't much done. I see what your saying about breaking off the tabs. A guy on you-tube broke one off while he was videoing the procedure. I also am going to have to get the plate seals. Thanks for your info, it's been most educating. 

• Like 1

I got lucky on this one, I didn't have to remove the plate. The Subaru dealer mechanic said they changed the design and that I could remove the seal from the front. He was correct. I think they changed it when they made the shaft that fits the transmission part of the axle. (male end) The short stubby shaft trick worked. I pop out the old seal and put in a 2001 seal in the 2006 transmission. I then went back to the 2001 female axle with the short stubby. One side down and one to go. Looks like this is going to work. Thanks for keeping up with the forum. DD 

On the road again and is running smooth as silk. I'm sure glad I found this forum and special thanks to Elite Master-idosubaru! 

sure thing, great job staying with it and figuring it out!

and thanks for posting back.  it's always nice to know something got done and went well.  

• Like 2