Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine Replacement for '86 Brat (Boulder/Denver)

Hi All - i am needing to replace the engine in my 1986 Brat and am thinking of potentially upgrading it.

Before I blindly approach some shops for quotes just wondering if anyone has any recommendations in the Boulder/Denver area that could do this type of work.

Many thanks in advance. 

You should also decide on what your upgrade choice is so the shop can give you an accurate quote.

Rebuild the ea81 with a mid cam etc

OR

Convert to an EJ engine of some description (pick one).

If going the EJ route it's best to do some research and if possible get a list of required parts from the shop for you to collect prior to conversion beginning ;)

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 1

If I hadn't believed the bulldust about the EA82 not fit the EA81 body all those years ago, I would have years more fun with the EA82

At std height, the EA82 fits without cutting chassis rails, might need to massage them a little, file down the flutes on the dizzy side rocker cover, but jeepers, so much a better engine format to rebuild for an EA81 body, use the EA82 5MT

Any upgrade on EA81 is gonna have a timing belt set up, OHC and hydraulic lifters

I admit I have the mpfi twin port heads and feed it propane - making the conversion a little easier. I do wonder how a carb would go hanging off the rear of a spider inlet, or sit atop the flat mpfi inlet manifold - deffo wont fit under the bonnet, but nothing a jigsaw cant fix.

• Like 1

Ea82 in a brumby/MY is a step backwards. You're "upgrading" to more oil leaks and less reliability with the rubber band cam belts.

If you want to make the ea81 "as good as" the EA82, put the EA82 intake manifold on the EA81 long block.

Bigger carb will almost always help with performance...

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 2

Looking at EA81 rocker gear and pushrods takes me back to schol tech room where I had the opportunity to stare at an 850 Mini engine cut down of a sixties engineering example likely started back in the 50's.

OHC EA82 anyday, just use genuine seals and good gasket goo

rubber bands tutt, tutt.....

• Like 1

I ran an EA82 in my Brat for two years before I changed to an EJ. Using all stock parts it was basically a boltin job. The hardest part was wiring the fuel injection. Using a 3at for a trans it was much better power wise. It would not seem like 10 or so horsepower would make that much difference but it really ran much better. The reason I used the EA82 was I already had a doner, the EA81 died and I was broke.

• Like 1