Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My oil pump shattered and it's stuck in the engine. Here's the back story: I was replacing the oil pump in my 85 Brat when, while removing the old one from the engine, I turn around for a second and my dumb friend decides to use a mallet to get it out. The oil pumps are know to shatter and naturally it did. Unfortunately the worse case scenario came true and part of it is stuck in the engine still. It will spin but refuses to come out. I've tried everything. I even drilled a screw in it so I had something to pull. Any suggestions??

Pics attached

https://ibb.co/foXbjx

https://ibb.co/hbnnrc

https://ibb.co/dMoABc

https://ibb.co/mPqe4x

Same thing happened to me.  Mine was leaking from a visible crack in the pump before I attempted to replace it.  After removing the bolts it basically fell into pieces in much the same manner as yours.  Here is how I got it out. 

1) remove the grill, radiator, etc. to get a clear line strait at the pump.

2) stuff a small rag or paper towel in the holes that access the oil system.

3) drill and tap a threaded hole in the stuck portion of the pump (NOT all the way through).  The wide flat internal surface at the 06:00 position worked for me.

4) thread a bolt into the newly tapped hole.

5) use a combination of pliers and pry bars to wiggle it loose and pull it out.

After much swearing and wasting of time this is what eventually worked for me.  YMMV.  Good luck.

I had my motor out when I changed mine and it just took a lot of patience and persistent tapping with a mallet and punch to get it to spin then just kept spinning it back and forth while prying on it with a small pry bar it eventually wiggled out

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is still following this topic the pump is still stuck. I drilled into it and put a tow hook into it. I hooked it up to my foz with a tow rope and literally pulled the entire Brat with the back wheels locked across my driveway. Am I missing something or do I just have the worst luck in the world??

Um, yikes!  I'd never apply that much force. Unless you are 100% certain that it was all going to be perfectly aligned with the bore, and even then...

This is more of a light tapping wiggling gradually situation.  I had to carefully work one out of an engine.  Don't remember the model, but the ones i have worked on are all pretty similar.

It might be more stuck now, if it were pulled that hard. 

Might have to cut the piece into 2 pieces to get it out if it won't budge.  Not fun, but a dremel with a side cutting bit would do it, lots of care and patience, to avoid cutting into the block.  If you end up going this route, watch out, the chips are nasty sharp little needles.

Ya I probably did make it worse. I had been tapping it and spinning it trying to work it out for the past 3 weeks so I thought I'd tried a little brute Force (or a lot). The funny part is even after pulling it with the car it still spins with a hit from a chisel and hammer...

I think you tried a bit too much brute Foz.

I take it you dont plan on reusing this oil pump now !

You would be better off trying to make a puller from plate, bolts etc. Have you any size taps to make thread in any hole you drill into the oil pump?

My last oil pump I had to tap it into place, hoping to never have to pull it out. Splittting the block should do it though for me

If it still spins, you haven't made it worse.

Try to spray some lube around it and get it to turn. There will probably be a point in it's rotation where it will turn easier. Then work it back and forth at that point while pulling at the same time.

Something else you may try is shooting compressed air from a rubber tip blowgun into the center hole, but BE CAREFUL! I would probably bolt something over it with some spacers, so it can only come out so far, and not slash your wrist.

When I finally got mine out I found that it was completely coated in a thin, clear rubber/silicon film.  It almost looked like somebody used a clear RTV to lubricate the O-ring during assembly instead of an appropriate o-ring grease.  The pump would spin but I think that film was acting like a suction cup and preventing air from sneaking in to fill the space that the pump was vacating as it was extracted.  If you can try spinning the pump as you pull on the bolt that you tapped into the pump.  Or like DaveT said you may have to drill/cut the thing in half while still in the block.  at least enough to get it to collapse in on itself.  Use EXTREME caution if you go that route though.  Very last option.

Well I tied the pump to my Forester again but didn't pull it. I just left it so it was under tension. I then started hitting the pump with a screwdriver and hammer to get it to turn hoping it would release. It spun the full 360° around and didn't move a millimeter forward.... I'm at a loss now