Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question, EA 81 rear main oil leak, videos!

The videos.... 22 and 24 seconds

I am trying to fix an oil leak at the rear min seal, but it looks like the larger ring isn't the thing that is leaking. It looks like an inner, orange ring is leaking, and that is not a part of the clutch replacement kit

What is the name of the orange rubbery part? I think I need to replace it, because it looks like that's the only place the oil could've come from.

Suggestions?

don't know what it's called, but yes it can leak.

It's to keep the oil that runs in the center of the crank from coming out the end and getting through the bolt holes.

I have had luck washing the old ring with warm water and dawn dish soap.  DO NOT Use brake cleaner, it will swell the ring and make it unuseable.

So wash it good to get all oil off, then use a smear of "the RIght Stuff" rtv on it before reinstall.

Curious little blighter they are. My oldest 3/84 sedans EA81 does not even have one to leak ! No room on end of crank. EA82 deleted them. Subaru will still stock for sure. I even got a black one in a rebuild kit, but turfed it in preference for the used orange one. I used to always gunk them up with oil friendly sealants as a precaution.. How was the crank case pressure inside , not excessive blow by helping push the oil out ?

The videos.... 22 and 24 seconds

I am trying to fix an oil leak at the rear min seal, but it looks like the larger ring isn't the thing that is leaking. It looks like an inner, orange ring is leaking, and that is not a part of the clutch replacement kit

What is the name of the orange rubbery part? I think I need to replace it, because it looks like that's the only place the oil could've come from.

Suggestions?

Crankshaft o ring-413967100

Looks like they are NLA

I`d use a genaric subsitute.