Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 Oil Pump Gasket vs. Sealant ?

So I finally got the timing belt and front seals replacement underway today, and when I opened the package for the crank seal (non-Subaru) I found a paper gasket was also included. It just happened to be the exact size for my oil pump. The oil pump that I removed from the car did not have a gasket, just some sealant. All the manuals and forum discussions I have read have called for sealing the pump to the block with OEM sealant or Ultra-Gray #599 (and thus I purchased the latter). I have not seen any mention of a paper gasket anywhere. What's the deal with this paper gasket? Something that they used to use? Fel-Pro's suggestion for sealing the pump to the block?

I also found that three of the screws inside the pump were loose and partially backed out. I have seen mention of inspecting these, but is it very common that they are actually loose? I put some loc-tite on them and tightened them down.

-Heikki

Way back when, about 45 years ago, I took some auto mechanics courses in high school. At that time, paper gaskets were quite common for sealing oil pumps. Remember that this is long before silicone sealants were readily available.

I'd use the silicone sealant, and ignore the paper gasket. Be sure to use only a very small amount of sealant. You don't want the excess to get into the pump's works. Be sure to clean both mating surfaces thoroughly before applying the sealant.