Ultimate Subaru Message Board

air intake methods... EA82T

a buddy and i were arguing the other day about what would be the best way to get lots of air to the air filter. i already have a big K&N cone in there. i suggested a custom passenger side (and possibly a similar drivers side) light that would use a smaller actual light, and the rest of the space would let air go directly to the filter, or possibly through prefilter first. this would be a compromise between completely taking out the passenger headlight, and being able to see at night. a hoodscoop right above the air filter would work too, but it involves less direct airflow.

now my buddy says the filter shouldnt be exposed to a direct source (I.E. my first idea). he wants to use the factory ducting in the fender as the only source for fresh air, in a setup like skip's. this seems restrictive to me, especially when i plan on cranking up the boost. i want as much air into the engine bay as i can get, be it to cool the motor, or consumption by the engine.

does anyone have any insight to this? which method do you think would be best? keep in mind that i am trying to "rally" this car...

thanks

I believe that SubaruTex did a nice intake setup on the RX. He got rid of the stock aribox completley, made an "box" by closing off the section where the airbox USED to be with a sheet of aluminum, cut a hole in the aluminum that the intake piping runs through and the MAF bolts onto, and then put a nice cone filter on it. It would help keep out the hotter air that is surrounding the engine while sucking in the cooler air that comes from outside the car.

Here I found a pic of what I'm talking about to helpp you out!!!!

http://www.subarutex.com/gallery/RX/Engine_Bay

i thought of shortening the tract in the fender, and have it open closer to the middle of the fender... but would that be worth the work seeing as i dont use the stock airbox anymore? air wouldnt really be sucked through it unless i made something to couple that with a surround for the filter... :-\

the intake piece inside the fender acts like a noise supressor. it can be removed to gain better air flow. this will not help you much unless you isolate you filter from the engine compartment hot air as previously sugested.

you can make the opening to the inner fender bigger too. that seems to help.

in all seriousness I would concentrate on installing an effective intercooler. Espically if you plan on raising boost levels. this will help your performance and relyability much more than a "street racer" intake will.

here are some pics of my 93 loyale, i know its spfi not turbo mpfi but it would work the same, just need some mod's.

now i know its no PVC but i think it looks nice

as you can see the Mass air flow senser is mounted right onto the sheet metal of the inner finder.

wp_intake004.jpg

here is how it mounts in the fender. should be a little colder out there and a bit more air can come through that K&N than the stock paper filter.

wp_intake007.jpg

and here is the whole thing.

wp_intake009.jpg

let me know what you think...

-=suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

ah nice work there dave.... how big is that cone? the one i have now is 6".

oh and russ, i have an intercooler from a chrysler conquest, but i have yet to install it. i need to get some mounting brackets of some sort made, and some piping. ive got an STi hoodscoop sitting around thats gonna provide fresh air for my IC.

off topic: why isnt my sig showing anymore?

Nice work man thats badass.. were you able to keep your windshield washer fluid resevior?

wp_intake010.jpg

yep. it all fits nicely up behind the fender and washer taink.;

not to worried about water that is what i have my other subaru for, see above pics, with PVC intake, if i hit water that high, i better start bulding a boat.

and the cone is a 6 inch cone with a 3 inch outlet to the pipe.

thanks for the comments

-=Suberdave=-

ah nice work there dave.... how big is that cone? the one i have now is 6".

oh and russ, i have an intercooler from a chrysler conquest, but i have yet to install it. i need to get some mounting brackets of some sort made, and some piping. ive got an STi hoodscoop sitting around thats gonna provide fresh air for my IC.

off topic: why isnt my sig showing anymore?

it mounts to the factory spare tire holder easily

close.JPG

here are some pics of my 93 loyale, i know its spfi not turbo mpfi but it would work the same, just need some mod's.

now i know its no PVC but i think it looks nice

as you can see the Mass air flow senser is mounted right onto the sheet metal of the inner finder.

wp_intake004.jpg

here is how it mounts in the fender. should be a little colder out there and a bit more air can come through that K&N than the stock paper filter.

wp_intake007.jpg

and here is the whole thing.

wp_intake009.jpg

let me know what you think...

-=suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

That's really cool - the only thing I would worry about is isolating the MAF from vibration. If you notice the stock airbox, it is isolated quite a bit by big rubber bushings. Other than that, it looks really nice and I imagine will give you some good results!

That's really cool - the only thing I would worry about is isolating the MAF from vibration. If you notice the stock airbox, it is isolated quite a bit by big rubber bushings. Other than that, it looks really nice and I imagine will give you some good results!
its isolated so it dosent resonate the intake buzzing into the passenger cabin..

well i finaly got the whole intake done.

took it for a spin around the block, deffently a whole lot better.

better acc. sounds much deeper, and seems to have a better over all performance. although i have not had it on the freeway or anything, i guess i will find out tomorrow, on my way to work.

o yeah someone asked where i got the tubeing

i work as a tech for saturn, so what to use,

PWRSTK04.jpg

http://www.spswebpage.com

a saturn intake. just some cuts and now its not a saturn intake anymore, its a subaru intake.

well im off to go driveing...

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com