Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1982 GLF Coupe resto and cleanup

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tylertrend

tylertrend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Yukon, OK

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:24 PM

Yesterday I took the manifold, carburetor, and accessories of the engine of my Coupe. I know the engine has been replaced at some point years ago but I'm not sure what the donor vehicle was exactly. To my dismay, I discovered that it has the single barrrel C-W factory carb and after baking in the desert for 11 years with fuel in it, I'm sure it needs rebuilt. Yuck. My goal this afternoon was to remove the engine completely as I wanted to give it a good look over and the spark plugs I pulled out the other night didn't look pretty, covered in white crystals and rusty. 

Now heres the funny part to this story, because there is one. I'm currently in limbo in the middle of a drawn out cross country move so where I am now, the only tools I have is whatever fits in a portable 3 drawer tool box and a breaker bar. And it will be this way for another 2.5 months. So having realized I have no cherrypicker with me, I took the engine apart piece by piece all the way down to the short block, then got some help lifting that whole assembly over the front of the car and onto some cardboard. The pictures attached show the engine pieces and honest to goodness the only tools I used on this whole job. The valve springs were a bit rusty and there is a bunch of sludge in the valvetrain area, but the bores look pretty good, so I'm hoping this shouldn't be too difficult. More to come shortly. 

Attached Files

#2 Subaru Scott

Subaru Scott

New User

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • Cape Coral, FL

Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:06 AM

Yep, that’s the wonderful thing about the old sobs, you really don’t need many tools to work on them!

Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like you could have a rebuildable base there. If you do decide to go that route, I would replace the rusty valve springs, they have a tendency to break.

I would also look for another manifold and Hitachi carb, or Weber 32-36, those Carter-webers were crap.

You may want to keep one eye open for a good used engine instead. They are getting harder to find, but it you can, it will be much cheaper than a rebuild. An EA81 that has been cared for and not left to sit and rot, will run great for hundreds of thousands of miles.

#3 tylertrend

tylertrend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Yukon, OK

Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:32 AM

The shortblock looks pretty decent so I'd like to rebuild it if at all possible. Good call on the springs. Also discovered that at least several of my push rods are bent, but need to look at that more tonight. I wonder if they will tolerate being straightened and reused? Hmm, time for more internet time.

#4 subarubrat

subarubrat

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,470 posts
  • Bealeton, VA

Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:06 PM

Grab the larger soda blasting kit from Harbor Freight, it will let you clean up the block/heads to look like they did the day the car was sold.

#5 tylertrend

tylertrend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Yukon, OK

Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:15 PM

Got a few small things done today. Removed the flywheel and clutch, no pictures but it was roasted, explains the immense slop in the clutch pedal and a fully tightened down cable. I removed and wiped down all of the pushrods. All 4 on the left are fine, all 4 on the right are bent, some a little, a couple a lot. Explains the symptoms the PO described to the T. Guessing by the look of the sparkplugs and the crystals on the valve heads, I'm wondering if it had a HG or other leak and had an episode of hydrolocking. Oh well, I'll get it fixed right. I'm going to attempt to straighten the pushrods and resuse them. 

Picture: Right side vs Left side rods. 

Attached Files

#6 carfreak85

carfreak85

Temple of Fuji

• Members
  • 5,328 posts
  • Cascadia

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:53 AM

Yup, that's bent...

#7 Subaru Scott

Subaru Scott

New User

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • Cape Coral, FL

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:04 AM

I’m sure someone on here can get you some pushrods. Aluminum really doesn’t like to bend twice.

#8 tylertrend

tylertrend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Yukon, OK

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:45 PM

Today turned out to be a great day for the project. I drove down to a junkyard thats the size of a small town in Roosevelt, OK. Called Parts World. They are very helpful and have so much inventory I almost passed out. I went down there to snag a NOS Windshield for the coupe and also a good used rear windscreen. For a bit over $100, I'm pretty happy. My windshield cracked badly when I took it out and I haven't done the rear yet so I wanted to have a backup plan. 

Then as I was walking through the yard, there I could see it, recognizable from a mile away, a first gen brat. This was the first time I'd stood next to one in person, and even though they are quite small, I now know why myself and many others are so fascinated with them. Aside from rotted floorpans, this 1981 GL built in 06/81 with only 112k is almost fully complete and has a ea81 with 4spd d/r. After mucking about a bit and snapping some photos, I saw that it had a hitachi carb on it w/ manual choke. Not wanting to deal with the C-W that I have now, I got out the 4-6 basic tools I always carry in my trunk and removed the whole manifold and carburetor right there. Score! I really am still getting used to this whole some cars aren't fully rotted to high heaven after 8 years thing (I grew up in Maine), it makes these operations so easy! 

I have attached a few pics for your enjoyment.

Attached Files

#9 tylertrend

tylertrend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Yukon, OK

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:28 PM

Alright, here's a couple days of updates at once. 

1) I got the carburetor cleaned up and torn apart, cleaned the innards and reassembled with new gaskets. It didn't look nearly as bad inside as I thought it might which was great. I'm almost positive I am going to have to play with the float adjustment when things get put back together but I did not have any leftover parts when I was done so thats a good start in my book!

2) I worked on cleaning up the chrome wheel rings which were pretty rusted and nasty but a few hours and a bottle of chrome polish has them looking almost new. Very impressed with the durability and look of them. Also shined up the center caps.

3) I received my Front and Rear windshield gaskets from Phils Rotary/ New Old Car Company. They are the correct part and appear to fit well. Not much I can do with them right now but I'm very excited for that search to be over. For reference, the factory part numbers are:

Front 765061030

Rear  765061040

Attached Files

#10 carfreak85

carfreak85

Temple of Fuji

• Members
  • 5,328 posts
  • Cascadia

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:11 AM

Do you mind sharing the landed cost of those two gaskets?

#11 tylertrend

tylertrend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Yukon, OK

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:29 AM

At current exchange rates it was $188 to the door.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users