Ultimate Subaru Message Board

putting engine back together after head gasket replacement, engine is out of car

2000 outback wagon 2.5  SOHC

First      I put the water pump back on.  I forgot to put on this little skinny rubber insert on the side of the pump.  It abuts the oil pump.  It leaves a gap but I don't see it as a huge problem.

Second:      I just got the timing belt back on..     I notice two bolt holes above the crank shaft.   This is for some little bracket that  guards the top of the crank sprocket.  

I don't remember taking it off of there. AND   I cant find it anywhere.     I think maybe the guy before me who did this job, didn't put it back on.  I have been driving it this way.

Can I leave it off too?   Or do I need to stop operations and order this part?

I'm going to resume work tomorrow,, so I hope you guys know what I should do.

The rubber piece isn't nessesary.   Cheap pumps don't even come with it.

The 2 hole above the crank.  There is a thin metal guide that goes there on MT models.  It's there to prevent timing belt jumping on High RPM, sudden throttle on/off situations, more likely with a stick.

AT models don't have it.

• Like 3

Update:

So got it back together started and ran great. 

BUT when I shut it off I noticed a big leak from the top of the power steering banjo bolt thingy,     I guess I need to just tighten it?   The double copper washer clip is still on there.    Am I missing an washer or something?    Anyone know the torque number I should tighten to?  Hanes book doesn't specify.

ALSO.

I think I buggered the starter threads in one of the exhaust manifold bolt holes.  I'm thinking I need to run a tap up in there.  I have a cheapo tap kit, but none of the metric taps or dies seem to fit my stud or nut.  Anyone have the correct number for that?  Suggestion on where I can get just ONE tap?  Don't want to buy a whole kit.

I think I buggered the starter threads in one of the exhaust manifold bolt holes.  I'm thinking I need to run a tap up in there.  I have a cheapo tap kit, but none of the metric taps or dies seem to fit my stud or nut.  Anyone have the correct number for that?  Suggestion on where I can get just ONE tap?  Don't want to buy a whole kit.

starter threads or exhaust manifold threads?  that's confusing? 

if you mean the typical exhaust manifold bolts they're M10x1.25 or just search for it and it comes up with the common oversized 7/16" option as well: 

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/102192-exhaust-manifold-bolt-thread-size/