Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Turns over but wont start/ dies after start/ stalls

Hey folks so I have a 1990 Loyale Fuel Injected 1.8L EA82. Having issues getting the car to start and idle normal without stalling.

Cranks fine will start once in a blue moon but I have to hold it at 2000+ RPMS to keep it from stalling.

Here is a list of what I have done, checked or replaced

Fuel pump working properly 

Fuel Filter replaced

New Air filter

Replaced plugs, wires, rotor, distributor

Rotor spinning when turning over

Replaced IAC valve

Replaced MAF sensor

Checked all fuses 

Replaced ground from battery

A little background information on the issue prior to this happening It would start fine but idle low and seemed to cut out and loss of power unless the vehicle was warmed up.

Occasionally the RPM's would spike and then drop over and over Id guess in second intervals. That wasn't very common but I figure more information the better. Hopefully 

you guys can help I am almost at my breaking down point and willing the have a mechanic look at it which is my stubborn last resort.

Edited by Crydolly

The temperature sensor tells the ECU how much fuel the engine needs to run.  A cold engine needs a LOT more fuel.  It works similar to the choke on a carburetor.  So if the sensor has failed in a way the the ECU thinks the engine is hot, it won't give it enough fuel to start and run when cold.

I had a CTS go intermittent on one of mine a while back.   It was causing all sorts of odd behavior.  From hard to start, to sudden high idle when warm at a stop.  It gradually got bad enough and consistent enough to figure out what it was.

I figure that sort of sensor, close to 30 years old, it's due.

You could be looking at an air leak - spray some WD-40 or similar aerosol around the intake manifold and intake tract while cranking and see whether the engine will catch. If the engine does catch and then dies, check whether further sprays will give some semblance of a high idle.