Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 brat

Hello all,

Thanks for taking the time to read in advance. My 5 year hunt came to an end last night with the purchase of an 86 brat! I’m like a kid in a candy store! Was pretty surprised to find that the rust was not to bad, few spots in the quarters, some spots on the fender wells in the bed but manageable. I Put 100 miles on it last night on the back roads and it feels solid. Crawled all over this morning and found some things which needs fixed, which I was expecting. Mostly all easy stuff to find it seems but the one part I’m on the hunt for is the gas filler neck. There is a hole a few inches down from the top. Does anyone by chance have one for sale and will any filler neck from the gl series work? Thanks for your input!

I send filler necks to the UK for their rustoration projects. Wagon filler necks have not been rejected. I was told there is only two part numbers for these necks. Leaded with bigger hole and unleaded have smaller hole inside at top. We went unleaded mid 85. UK guys then get them cleaned up, zinc coated,painted then wax protected

If it's just a few holes simply remove it, clean out the petrol by washing in hot soapy water, and take it to a radiator repairer or a friend who can weld. They can weld it up (the material is thicker than a radiator or fuel tank, so it's not difficult), then paint it or (better still) get it zinc plated to stop it rusting again.

If it's too far gone, as Jono said, a wagon neck is identical. Try row52.com and source one from a southern state like Texas where rust isn't too bad.

The hardest part I find is removing the three screws at the top of the neck - the heads round out and I end up drilling them and re-tapping. The 2 (10mm ?) bolts at the bottom on the metal protective cover can also snap off if you're unlucky, so hit them with PB-blast or similar first.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...