Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Early 90s 2.2 turbo transmission

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 iriejedi

iriejedi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Frisco, CO

Posted 24 April 2018 - 04:27 PM

Does anybody on here know off the top of their heads if there is a difference between a 2.2 non turbo and a 2.2 turbo transmission? Early 90s Legacy.

Edited by iriejedi, 24 April 2018 - 04:28 PM.

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 22,068 posts
  • Portland

Posted 24 April 2018 - 04:29 PM

Completely different and not compatible. 

GD

#3 wtdash

wtdash

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,603 posts
  • N. ID

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:24 AM

Automatic or 5-speed?? What difference(s) are you referring to? Interchange /Swappability or internal workings?

No offense to GD, but I put an Automatic turbo trans  in my '90 NON-turbo and ran fine before and after I swapped in the turbo engine. You may want to source a TCM / TCU (trans computer) from a turbo, too, but that's not a deal-breaker.

All '91-'94 Automatics and 5-speeds EJ22T /  turbo transmissions - '91-'94 Sport Sedan and '92'-'94 Touring Wagon - were  3.9 Final drive ratio.

If yours is an AUTOMATIC  w/the EJ22e (non-turbo) '90-'91 or '95-'99(?) it's a 4.11 FD ratio.

Tangent: Rumor is the SVX transmission is the same as the turbo w/a different FD ratio...but most SVX transmissions are trashed by now.

Edited by wtdash, 25 April 2018 - 11:26 AM.

#4 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 10,934 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:33 AM

Completely different and not compatible. 

GD

sorry but no.

There are some internal differences, but very small.  They are essentially the same trans and will run fine as long as you swap the TCU as well and match final drive.

Used Non-turbo trans in a turbo (swapped to 4.11), and used turbo 3.9 trans in a non-turbo legacy sedan with no issues.

#5 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 22,068 posts
  • Portland

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:49 PM

I'm talking manual. They are cable push clutch on NA and hydraulic pull clutch on Turbo. The auto's are of course the same except for final drive.

You could convert pedal assembly, etc. But it's not a bolt in.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder, 25 April 2018 - 01:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users