Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Headlight Configurations

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jes1991

Jes1991

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • natural bridge

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:02 PM

Hello again. I have had a question buzzing around my head ever since I bought my 91 Loyale. It has the single headlight configuration (one headlight per side of the vehicle). My 89 DL or GL had dual headlights (2 seals beam glass headlights per side of the vehicle like my profile pic). My question is: can I retrofit a single headlight configuration to the dual light configuration? I like the way the dual light configuration looks and I'd like to swap it. Unfortunately I don't have the 89 to look at. Is it just a bracket I need to buy and swap or is this just a crazy idea? Thanks in advance.

#2 alexbuoy

alexbuoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Los Angeles, California

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:40 PM

My friend has swapped the quad lights onto his 91 Loyale. Pretty straightforward. you need the headlight buckets off the quadlights they bolt in iirc

#3 Jes1991

Jes1991

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • natural bridge

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:58 PM

Awesome. Now to hunt for some headlights.

#4 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 22,068 posts
  • Portland

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:55 PM

That was on 85 to 89 DL models only. Will be extremely hard to find.

GD

#5 Jes1991

Jes1991

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • natural bridge

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:42 AM

Of course everything I like is hard to find. Lol. Like non rusted fenders for a decent price. 😂

#6 Subasaurus

Subasaurus

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • San Antonio, Texas

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:46 AM

That was on 85 to 89 DL models only. Will be extremely hard to find.

GD

only ever seen 1 quad EA82, years ago, i studied it pretty good though, you need the corner lights, the buckets for the quads, probably should grab the quads too since they aren't cheap, the grille is attached to the underside of the quads themselves for some reason.

be aware though, those corner lights are extremely rare to find these days, already hard to find regulars ones for single big beam ones which are fatter, and i think the amber part of them on the side change over the years too.

although i will agree, they look so much better with the boxy look of the EA82, best of luck finding some!

#7 Subasaurus

Subasaurus

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • San Antonio, Texas

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:48 AM

Of course everything I like is hard to find. Lol. Like non rusted fenders for a decent price.

like blue fenders for $35 for the pair? in perfect shape?

heres a magical link

http://www.ultimates...in-ea-82-parts/

the white fenders and gray fenders are already sold.

#8 Jes1991

Jes1991

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • natural bridge

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:00 PM

only ever seen 1 quad EA82, years ago, i studied it pretty good though, you need the corner lights, the buckets for the quads, probably should grab the quads too since they aren't cheap, the grille is attached to the underside of the quads themselves for some reason.

be aware though, those corner lights are extremely rare to find these days, already hard to find regulars ones for single big beam ones which are fatter, and i think the amber part of them on the side change over the years too.

although i will agree, they look so much better with the boxy look of the EA82, best of luck finding some!

Thanks. I can actualy still find the glass sealed beams here at the Big Blue Store with a smiley face. I wish I knew where my old mechanic took my DL. I had to give it up to pay him off for another project car. ☹. But this was back in 2013 or 14. So very little hope of it being around still.

#9 Jes1991

Jes1991

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • natural bridge

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:02 PM

like blue fenders for $35 for the pair? in perfect shape?

heres a magical link

http://www.ultimates...in-ea-82-parts/

the white fenders and gray fenders are already sold.

I'm going to send you a pm about those.

#10 NoDucksDL

NoDucksDL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Manassas VA

Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:47 PM

I just picked up an 89 DL with the quad headlights a few weeks ago. I can go snap a few pictures for if you like.

#11 Jes1991

Jes1991

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • natural bridge

Posted 27 April 2018 - 05:35 PM

I just picked up an 89 DL with the quad headlights a few weeks ago. I can go snap a few pictures for if you like.

That would be awesome! Unless you wanted to swap. 😁. Jk jk. I'll pm you my number. Maybe I can fab something up.

#12 jkinz

jkinz

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Arcata California USA

Posted 29 April 2018 - 07:31 PM

I too like the quad headlight look and have thought about it for my 87 wagon, but subaru parts are pretty rare where I live and the few DLs that I see are usually running and not going to give up their lights. 

I wonder how hard it would be to buy the bulbs and make a custom bucket, I've never seen a factory one but if I did I'm sure I could copy it to some extent given the chance.

#13 DaveT

DaveT

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 3,832 posts
  • Colchester

Posted 29 April 2018 - 10:11 PM

It's been years since I've seen a DL. 

I had a 1978 with 4 round headlights, and modified the lighting - Put 4 quartz halogen H4 Hi / Lo lamps on it.  Made a custom harness and relay box and control ppanel on the dash.  I could set it to look and function normally, or a number of other additional combinations -

Either pair of low beams, dual = quad low beams.  high beams with lows on also, and all filaments energized, which was 55W*4=220W and 60W*4=240W for a total of 460Watts of light out front.  Along with a pair of 55W fog lights.

I also had externally mounted heavy duty rectifiers for the alternator, because of course the internal ones died. 

This was all back before I was a homeowner, and had more time to play with mods.  I've thought about doing the 4 square DL system on my Loyales, but the list of projects is so long.  It would be easier to make LEDs anyway, and I wouldn't need a bigger alternator.

Edited by DaveT, 29 April 2018 - 10:11 PM.

#14 Jes1991

Jes1991

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • natural bridge

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:03 AM

Guys, miracles do happen! A lady that lives down the road from my parents has a broken down DL with quads, and she is letting me buy them! Along with the fenders (95% rust free) and all the A.C. components for $100. The only catch is that I have to attach my old fenders and headlights to her wagon so that it doesn't look like a junk car sitting in her yard.

#15 DaveT

DaveT

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 3,832 posts
  • Colchester

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:12 AM

Cool!

#16 el_freddo

el_freddo

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 932 posts
  • Bendigo, Vic, Aust.

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:06 AM

It really is the truman show at times...

Cheers

Bennie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users