Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone with transmission replacement experience near Minneapolis?!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 upnorthguy

upnorthguy

New User

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Minneapolis, MN

Posted 25 April 2018 - 05:52 PM

First shop diagnosis confirmed my hunch that the front diff is toast on my 01 Forester.  Quote for installation of used transmission was crazy.

Anyone near me with transmission swap experience up for a Saturday or Sunday fun day?  All the beer and food you could consume plus some bucks for your expertise!

I'm mostly of up for the challenge (although the mrs is trying to rule against me).  I had the EJ22 out of my old gen 2 Legacy, but no transmission work yet.  Having an experienced pilot to help this co-pilot along would definitely help.

#2 montana tom

montana tom

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 569 posts
  • trout creek montana

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:11 PM

To far away to help but some advice.   Without a lift , pull the motor first its way easier.  Then you have bunches of room to work with the tranny. 

#3 3Pin

3Pin

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • Milwaukee

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:15 PM

Have you ever seen a place like First gear garage in Eden Praire ?  I am not advocating this place, but the idea of the place.  They rent the stall with a lift etc.  Makes the work go faster and safer.  Just saying.

#4 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 6,890 posts
  • Saginaw, MN

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:56 AM

Jump on MNSubaru.com, lots of local guys, might find someone willing to help and/or recommendations for a cheaper shop.

#5 upnorthguy

upnorthguy

New User

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Minneapolis, MN

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:50 PM

Have you ever seen a place like First gear garage in Eden Praire ?  I am not advocating this place, but the idea of the place.  They rent the stall with a lift etc.  Makes the work go faster and safer.  Just saying.

I have not heard of that outfit, but I like the idea.  I will investigate.  Thanks!

NB: Looks like First Gear Garage closed in March 2013.  Interesting idea.

Edited by upnorthguy, 26 April 2018 - 02:54 PM.

#6 Subaru Scott

Subaru Scott

New User

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • Cape Coral, FL

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:21 PM

Too far for me, sorry.

But lucky for you, that you won't have to find out how much beer I can drink!  :drunk:

Just get it up on 4 decent jackstands, and you'll have plenty of room.

Then rent a transmission jack. You could make do with a floor jack assisted by a couple ratchet straps to steady it. But for a first-timer, make it easy on yourself.

#7 aliscar

aliscar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • bagley MN

Posted 29 April 2018 - 08:02 PM

contact Vlad Pilipenka  (Ukranian) in Rochester 507  202-1658    Knows his stuff !       Good luck.   Terry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users