Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone with transmission replacement experience near Minneapolis?!

First shop diagnosis confirmed my hunch that the front diff is toast on my 01 Forester.  Quote for installation of used transmission was crazy.

Anyone near me with transmission swap experience up for a Saturday or Sunday fun day?  All the beer and food you could consume plus some bucks for your expertise!

I'm mostly of up for the challenge (although the mrs is trying to rule against me).  I had the EJ22 out of my old gen 2 Legacy, but no transmission work yet.  Having an experienced pilot to help this co-pilot along would definitely help.

Have you ever seen a place like First gear garage in Eden Praire ?  I am not advocating this place, but the idea of the place.  They rent the stall with a lift etc.  Makes the work go faster and safer.  Just saying.

Have you ever seen a place like First gear garage in Eden Praire ?  I am not advocating this place, but the idea of the place.  They rent the stall with a lift etc.  Makes the work go faster and safer.  Just saying.

I have not heard of that outfit, but I like the idea.  I will investigate.  Thanks!

NB: Looks like First Gear Garage closed in March 2013.  Interesting idea.

Edited by upnorthguy

Too far for me, sorry.

But lucky for you, that you won't have to find out how much beer I can drink!  :drunk:

Just get it up on 4 decent jackstands, and you'll have plenty of room.

Then rent a transmission jack. You could make do with a floor jack assisted by a couple ratchet straps to steady it. But for a first-timer, make it easy on yourself.