Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ253 into 89 XT6

Gloyale

Hey all.

Just finding myself int he bowels of absurdity with the wiring in this XT6 project.

26840257627_6fc2156e8a_k.jpgIMG_2940 by Dans Subaru, on Flickr

Engine, trans and Harness are from the same '01 Outback wagon 2.5.  

41707765881_b6709b9b15_k.jpgIMG_2945 by Dans Subaru, on Flickr

I pulled the original XT6 wring bulkhead grommet and removed all the Engine, Cruise, Air suspension, and electric steering wiring form it.  And then stuffed the few remaining needed wires (wipers) back through the larger of the 2 Outback harness grommets, and fitted it through the firewall.  The second smaller grommet of the EJ harness I used a hole saw and punched through were the RHD steering column would go.

41707771781_f6d05a3180_k.jpgIMG_2944 by Dans Subaru, on Flickr

When I thinned the harness I left all the ECU, TCU, and Cruise wiring intact (some cruise wires had to be cut to remove and thin) All the ECU/TCU wiring and OBD II, Ig. and fuel relays etc. stayed together.  It seemed to have worked well.  So far I've only hooked up 2 wires (Batt power to relays, and IG switched power to ECU "on")  Turn the key and both relays click, 12v+ present everywhere it's supposed to be at Cruise  and TCU as well.  relays and ECU/TCU/CCU all have ground from Intake manifold.  So far all good signs.  But it will be a relief to actually start it and drive.  Only about 20~30 more wires to go!

26840227967_e1a80f2a08_k.jpgIMG_2943 by Dans Subaru, on Flickr

• Like 2

woaaah!  that's ceeeerrrraaaazzzyy!  that looks like a parts car at the moment, very cool!

Nah.  The parts cars are out back on blocks!

The plan is to completely remove all the XT6 Engine wiring and ECU  outta the trunk :)  and to remove the XT6 electric steering, air suspension, and Trans computer wiring.  Even after the trade off for the EJ wiring , this will shave 30 lbs of copper wire from the car!  And it gets the wiring out from under the carpet.

And it will hopefully leave the remaining XT6 wiring a bit more simplified, and the EJ ECU/TCU/CCU mounted behind glovebox or under column (haven't finalized that yet)

Todays progress:

CEL light wire connected

Fuel pump ground run direct to body (instead of through XT6 ECU)  

Fuel pump relay wiring tested.  Pump runs with key on.

Test connector plugged in with Key On/Engine Off....Fuel pump runs and engine solenoids click.  CEL flashes

XT6  Engine wiring loom and ECU removed.  

XT6 Electric steering, Trans, and air suspension computers and wiring for Trans and Electric steering removed.

***notes  

1) Fuel pump wiring had to be scavenged form engine loom....otherwise the whole thing comes out of the trunk standalone from other wiring like lights and fuel gauge.

2) Center console wiring for Blower, Fog lights, etc. did need to be scavenged from the plastic casing that eh trans wiring runs in.  

This is what I was able to pull out of the car.

40830671045_6a7bc5fd3d_k.jpgIMG_2946 by Dans Subaru, on Flickr

I had wanted to remove the "passive" aggressive seatbelt system AKA self strangulation device computer and wiring as well.  However, probably since that wiring was common to all XT4 and 6 of all trims and tranny's, it's all entangled with the wiring for all the other lighting and HVAC and body electronics.

My son and I worked on the car for while over the weekend.

We installed the taillights and the rear bumper.  Had to pull Right hand tail light out of one of the parts cars, had forgotten that right side light had a big crack in it.  Plus we needed hardware since the original nuts are who knows where.  Car was stripped nearly 2 years ago for the paint job.  Finished that last Sept....lol  Finally getting it back together.

So then we moved on to the Engine.  

Installed water pump.

Installed timing belt.

installed intake manifold.

Hooked up fuel lines.

Put oil in Engine.

Checked oil level in trans.

Spliced in a few more wires (start signal, P/N signal)

And then for the Big moment........

We fired it up.  She lives!!!   Loud as crap with no exhaust yet, and couldn't run it more than a few secs since the radiator is not in yet either.  But it runs......shifter was still in "R" when it first fired too, and it tried to drive backwards......exciting.

So anyhow.......Next hurdle......I don't have an exact wiring diagram to work from.  The ones I'm using are for 01 Impreza......Pinouts are correct but wire colors are off.  Not such a big deal, Engine wiring is easy to sort out.....But for the Trans and Cruise it is tough to tell, many colors are off.  I'm sure with some further patient testing I can figure it out but......

Anyone got a link to Diagrahm (PDF is best) for 2001 Legacy/Outback?

More progress last night.  Pics to come but mostly boring details.  Nevertheless I am proud.  This is my most complicated swap to date.  So far so good.

Most of last nights work was related to TCU.

Spiced in :

P, R, N, D, 3, 2, and 1st signal wires from trans switch to the dash.  All but "P" light up when shifter moved through gears.....thinking that bulb is burnt out.

FWD light spiced in.  And it activates when the Fuse holder wire is grounded.  I chopped out that fuse holder and I am goin to wire it to a small switch instead.  Not sure yet where I will locate it.

AT Oil Temp light spliced in.  Lights w/ key on, so I think the TCU power is all correct.

I still need to find the dropping resistor.  I unhooked it to feed the wiring through the bulkhead.  Now I can't find it....might have to go to a Junkyard.

In working on the shift lights, I had to make adjustment to the Shift cable.  XT6 cable had to be adjussted to it's maximum to get the correct engagement.  

As a note about the trans mounting.  I used the XT6 trans mount plate and mounts.......But the mounts I had to bend about 30 degrees to match the shallower "V" of the newer trans.  Otherwise it's a direct bolt in.

Up next on the agenda :  One of the most complicated issues.

Making a custom dashboard. Using the XT6 Tach and speedometer are both issues.

Tach is easy to solve.....I will just swap in one of the 4cyl tachs from my parts cars.......But since my parts 4 cyl cars are all MT and part time 4wd........the rest of the displays would not be correct, so I will need to take the tach unit itself out and install it in the XT6 dash.

Now......VSS.......a little more tricky......The 01 trans does not have a spot to install a cable.  In the Outback, the Speedo was electronic and driven by a signal from the TCU.....So the XT6 mechanical speedo won't do.  My solution :    

41172942184_80ba83a034_k.jpgIMG_2948 by Dans Subaru, on Flickr

Plan is to cut the fuel gauge and the bottom edge off of the Outback electronic speedo, and install it in the XT6 dash.  Gotta love dremels.

Edited by Gloyale

Good work. Keep it up, and keep us updated.

I missed this...

http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Legacy_Outback/2001/Service Manual/

Hey thanks!   This is still helpful.

I had figured out that my 01 Impreza and Forester diagrahms showed the ECU/TCU/CCU pinouts the same......so I just started ignoring colors and going strictly on pin location.

***note.....When looking at wiring diagrahms and computer pinouts int eh FSM...........the pin location diagrahms are sometimes "reversed"

Pinout charts, Show the pin #'s as viewed looking at the computer.

Schematic wiring diagrahms, show the pin #'s as viewed looking into the face of the unplugged connector.  

Mirror images.

• Like 1

Hey Gloyale,

How did you remove the instrument's indicator needles without breaking them?  And how do you intend to refit them properly in the correct rotational location?

You've got me curious!

Keep up the good work ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Hey Gloyale,

How did you remove the instrument's indicator needles without breaking them?  And how do you intend to refit them properly in the correct rotational location?

You've got me curious!

Keep up the good work ;)

Cheers

Bennie

They slide right off.  Gentle straight up pull.

there are stop tabs that keep the needles in the correct range, so long as I slide each one back on to it's "bottom" stop.

• 2 weeks later...

More progress.

Finalized fuel pump relay setup.  Mounts into the stock FP relay bracket, and uses the 2 heavy 14?gauge stock wires to power the pump.  Rather than the tiny 18?22? wires int eh EJ pump setup....crazy.

So here's the XT6 harness FP relay connector, with the 2 pump wires pulled out.  Red=12v supply, Blue=12v output to pump.

27391542417_cebe337308_k.jpgIMG_2958 by Dans Subaru, on Flickr

Here's the EJ relay connector, with the 2 skinny crap wires pulled.....

28388246018_d52006151b_k.jpgIMG_2959 by Dans Subaru, on Flickr

And here it is in it's final home.  Unused XT6 fuel pump relay connector unused on the right.

41360299955_5146d79568_k.jpgIMG_2961 by Dans Subaru, on Flickr

Aside from some simple wire loom bundling, prep for cruise etc....Didn't do too much in the car this weekend.  

I did however finally round up hardware, and reinstall the headlight bucket assemblies, and got the front bumper reassembled and on the car.  Had to pull all the hardware off some donor cars.  Lost the stuff I took apart 2 years ago when the project started. lol

I did also build the speedo assembly, and I am looking forward to testing it.  Pics in the next post.

Progress on the speedomater head

Here's the back when I started.  Note the back of the speedo unit poking out of the box on the right side half in pic.

40455299730_3b05fe0aad_k.jpgIMG_2962 by Dans Subaru, on Flickr

Here's the unit broken down with The electronic speedo head installed.  Note the amazingly conveniently placed screw in the top right of the speedo arc.    Tiny pilot hole and a scavenged tiny trim screw and it's perfect.  Thank Subaru!  

42262150801_518ee681e1_k.jpgIMG_2967 by Dans Subaru, on Flickr

27391429277_ee93726a26_k.jpgIMG_2970 by Dans Subaru, on Flickr

And with the bezel installed

27391433297_37647a5ec5_k.jpgIMG_2969 by Dans Subaru, on Flickr

Here is a pic of the back.  I simply drilled holes in the plastic directly over the new speedo units screw/mounting holes where the plastic trace makes its electric connections to the unit.  All nicely labeled on the board, although I didn't get pics of that.  Check out the convienient location of the ground pin that allowed me to use the XT6 trace.  I will probably run a jumper from the actual wire to a new ring terminal direct just in case.  But I thought thanks again Subaru!

27391425747_e055a67a72_k.jpgIMG_2971 by Dans Subaru, on Flickr

And pics of the Tach swap, 6cyl to 4cyl.  2 units side by side.  I swapped just the  Tach unit because the gauges in the 4 cyl cluster had some significant corrosion, so I opted to keep the better ones form the car.  Hopefully the tach works.  this part was a direct swap requiring only a screw driver.

42262157801_d250f88e1c_k.jpgIMG_2966 by Dans Subaru, on Flickr

Testing soon to come. Still have to attach the wires for the Speedo.  Should be no problem, although I might want to make a few spacers to slide in under the plastic.  There is a gap that won't ever pull tight, and I don't want tension on the connections to the board.  So some work there still.  I'll get pics before it goes back in of the final wiring.

Gotta find a Dropping restior pack for the trans!

Edited by Gloyale
  • Like 2

Hey!  I found the radiator!  And the one for the next project car too!  I had been stressing, wanting to keep an "original" radiator for the next project, as it will get an original 2.7 H6 engine.  I had started working on fabbing in an EJ radiator to this current car, but now I can skip that.

2 complete XT6 radiators in one place on the planet.......what are the chances!

This is good news.  With the radiator issue solved, I can actually get her up and ready to drive.

Pics of the whole car to come soon.  I really want to get the window trim painted and reinstalled before I show 'er off.  Oh and exhaust might be good too before running video.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...