I'm hoping to get some guidance/advice on where to go next. I've got a 99 Legacy Outback (30th Anniversary edition) that just flat out died while driving on the interstate. No previous problems or symptoms. Car turns over, just never starts.
Note: The check engine light is not on. I've run the diagnostics, and gotten no codes.
Here's what I've done:
* I believe it's not getting spark (by spraying starting fluid and still nothing, also I can hear the fuel pump switch on and I pulled the fuel line and am getting output).
* I put on a new coil pack - no change to the symptoms or status.
* I took my ignitor and put it into another car. Other car performed fine.
* I took out the crank sensor and the cam sensor to test them. They appear to be functioning fine.
* I took out the ECU and put in one that I know to be fine - no change to the symptoms or status.
*** Note: I found it weird that the car had the same symptoms regardless of whether an ECU was hooked up or not.
Now, where do I go from here? Timing?
Also, please know that about every fifty attempts at trying to start it, it sounds like it gets close to catching at the initial key-turn, but then nothing.