Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm still confused about the oil pan issue.

My new PCV just arrived, so I will be installing

it to see if it makes a difference.

I'm pretty confident that oil consumption jumped after the new pan

was installed. I believe it was made by Spectre, or something like that.

Does anyone have pictures that show the difference between a stock

Subaru pan and an aftermarket in the area that might cause the problem?

We build turbo engines all the time with the Killer-B motorsports pan and it does not seal in that location:

http://www.killerbmotorsport.net/oiling-products/oil-pans/high-performance-oil-pan-ej-series.html

Moroso builds their pan the same way:

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/oil-pans/mor-20966-moroso-steel-oil-pan

We don't experience any oil consumption due to the lack of a seal for the oil return port. 

The aftermarket stock style pan (likely made by Dorman) does have the seal just like the factory pan. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

While not having a seal, both of those pans have a box section that comes up flush with the pan flange.  Might not be a perfect seal, but not the open gap that happens when one reseals a stock pan and neglects to install the O-ring.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2018 at 8:48 AM, idosubaru said:

wow, if it wasn't you i wouldn't believe that at first glance!

this joker fixed it before he missed one morning oil top off before work...his odds weren't in his favor. 

makes me want to stuff a PCV hose shut and see what happens for a 100 miles just to see it myself.  i've got a running and driving 03 going to the scrap yard, it's tempting. 

wait why is it going to the scrapyard if it runs and drives?!

I've read that full synthetic oil will burn without creating a smoke cloud out the back of the vehicle.

Mum's '03 Corolla would use 1L of oil for every 4-500km of driving! Not anything to see out the back to suggest it was burning oil. We believe the cylinders in this engine were badly glazed. It was replaced with another known good engine.

You could be running an oil that's too thin for the wear in your engine too. 

Cheers

Bennie

1 hour ago, el_freddo said:

I've read that full synthetic oil will burn without creating a smoke cloud out the back of the vehicle.

Mum's '03 Corolla would use 1L of oil for every 4-500km of driving! Not anything to see out the back to suggest it was burning oil. We believe the cylinders in this engine were badly glazed. It was replaced with another known good engine.

You could be running an oil that's too thin for the wear in your engine too. 

Cheers

Bennie

Cylinder "glaze" is a fantasy. The rings were shot and plugged up with failed oil.

GD