Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Legacy LS. I want to rebuild my All Wheel system

All, it all started out as I lost the all wheel system in the car, I have front wheel only.   Remove the tail shaft housing thinking that I need a set of clutches and NO that is not the problem. The problem is the reduction gear in the trans has broken, this is the part that slides into the part that holds the clutches in the tail shaft housing.  We call the local dealership parts counter with the vin and no one seems to be able to get a part number for the broken gear, they say it is a discontinued part or the number has been updated and since it is updated they can't be sure if it is the correct part.

Does anyone have a correct part number for this??????  All I want to do is press it off the shaft and press a new one on.  

Next problem is getting the correct part number for the clutches and the paper gasket for between the housing and trans.  I was given a part number for the gasket and Subaru sent a metal gasket that does not even look like the correct one.  Sent that back.

I have a spare trans here that I scrounged parts from to get the car back on the road until I get all the correct parts to do the job right, bad thing is we don't know how long these used parts are going to last. The reduction gear basket has a lot of grooves worn into it from a set of worn clutches. It also may have the start of a crack near the bearing surface.

Thanks in advance for any help,  Mark

I would just get a used good drum/basket. They don’t really fail often enough to worry about unless driven with problems for too long.

Did you look up on online Subaru parts places to check for part number?

Edited by idosubaru

Hello,

Check out my post.  I did this job on a 98 OBW.  I have listed the part numbers that will get put you in the ballpark.   The cheapest OEM parts I could find were at www.heubergersubaruparts.com.  Email them any questions with parts and they will help you. If you are doing your own work  I suggest buying new parts here given how much you are saving in labor.   Any parts you pull used are 15 to 20 years old and worn.

Http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/121116-at-light-flashes-16-times-what-to-do/?fromsearch=1

Edited by msmithmmx
  • Like 1

Many thanks for the posts guys, the car works for now but it does have a small bit of bind that I think is a bad set of clutches.  Now that I have the part numbers to get the stuff I may have the basket welded up like Gloyale said.  The guy next door has a weld shop in his garage and I am going to give him that project.   For now I am going to put in the front drive fuse since I hope we don't get any more snow. 

I have a good set, that I was going to send to the recycle center. 

I just pulled them out of the attic the other day.

Good basket and clutches.  

Your's for the shipping and $10 for my time boxing them.

PM me with your email and I can send you some pictures.