Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brumby Nolathane Swaybar Bushes Upgrade

Hey Gang !

Today I replaced my worn old rubber bushes with Nolathane ones on my front swaybar.

The job was a cinch, took 35 mins all up and was doable without jacking the car up.

I ordered the parts from ebay and have included pix for anyone else looking to do the same. The Nolathane kits were great as they came with bushing lube as well.

Skoob handles the corners a whole bunch better now and sits better at highway speeds as well.

fk6sns.jpg

2q3y6n9.jpg

4h4bqp.jpg

fjknlf.jpg

33dj9s0.jpg

nb7qet.jpg

Edited by Knucklehead Saloon
  • Like 1

^ remove the * from the last coding bracket.

The trick is working out how to share the photo on a forum - you'll need to find the specific code on your photo account to share it as using that link address doesn't work, nor does the one once the image is displayed in your account on my screen. So it's something you'll have to find within your photo account to see it on the forum ;)

I hope that's clearer than mud!

Cheers

Bennie

Make sure you continue to lube those puppies.  Urethane really doesn't like to be installed in twisting applications (such as sway bar mounting bushings).  They prefer compression forces and will eventually start to squeak and wear our in a rotational application, unless lubed frequently.

Right !! Got the pics working (thanks el_fredo).

Turns out google photos was the culprit. Went with tinypic hosting instead and works like a dream.

Sure does, they aint such tiny pics either. I can only get thumbnails up. May need to investigate tiny pics one day

That bush be hard enough to drill a lube hole into, screw in a grease nipple on the back side and easy to keep the maintenance up to it

Think one pic turned the lens around on you :)

Edited by jono

I've not had an issue with the Nolathane bushes on my rear swing arms of my L series. They lasted about 200k km with quite a bit of offroading in there too. I think this event ultimately began their demise:

pb010089rs.jpg

Mind you, with that said, the above event happened in 2010 and the bushes were swapped out in 2016 and they were obviously well worn by that point. New units are in there now doing what they do best :D

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 1

YMMV, but urethane needs more frequent maintenance than rubber bushings.  Another trick it to wrap the anti-roll bar in Teflon tape before you install the bushings.  This should outlast any grease, but will still need to be replaced every so often.

I had urathane rubbers in a little packet in my pocket once... no wait... wrong rubbers haha !

But seriously, over the years I've put them in a ton if cars, swaybars, radius rods, shock absorbers etc. I used to use antisieze as lube and it lasted very well. Also used waterproof grease on occasion but didn't last as many yrs as the antisieze.

The kits I used on Skoob came with their own lube. Pretty sure its a black molybedenum grease.

Dry swaybar bushes are far and away the major cause of squeaky front ends.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...