Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Recently purchased a loyale wagon, been driving it for about a month with no issues, turned on the ac the other day  FOR THE 1ST TIME and was driving down the highway. After about 4 mins of ac running car shutoff and would not restart, had to be towed. NOTHING WORKS except horn, hazards and key in ignition chime. PLEASE HELP IM AT A LOSS. THANKS IN ADVANCE

• Like 2

Does the engine turn over?

Do the lights inside the car turn on?

Is the battery dead?

Check fusible links as John said. Blue/red/green links In a small black box by battery. Ideally you test with a meter or voltage tester as they can appear good when they’re bad sometimes.

Check fuses in the vehicle.

They Can be reliable engines when they’re reasonably maintained but many haven’t been after a quarter century.

New timing belts and pulleys, plugs, wires, cap and rotor are good ideas.

• Like 1

A/C use probably coincidence.

Unless you have proof the timing belts and idlers were replaced with the last 50k miles, that is most likely why it shut off.

If it cracks with an un even rythm, timing belt broke.

Minor tip, Loyale is covered better in the old generation sub forum, that is more of us will see it there.

• Like 2

thanks for all the responses, she was running fine for a month had my mechanic look over it. gave it a good bill. no cranking, no lights, NOTHING WORKS. only thing that works is the horn and the hazards and the key chime... all fuses good under dash made new links in yesterday still nothing, it was fine till i ran the ac for a few minutes on the highway 

If it won't crank....

Fusible link box.

I once faked myself into thing I had a bad problem, the car must be in neutral or park to get the starter to run. Not sure what lockout might be on a stixk, bit check those too.

Idk didn’t have time to work in her today, I’m not good when it comes to electrical issues. All the links were intact I replaced 2 With newer ones because they were a little brittle and still nothing

I was hoping it was just a fuse but they all checked out okay.... maybe the computer fried who knows