Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does anyone have any experience and or recomendation on an inexpensive timing belt kit for a 1999 ej22 and a 1998 DOCH EJ25.  I am not in a rush as the cars are not my daily drivers. They are older cars and I do not want to spend the money on factory subaru parts, other than the water pump gasket and maybe the cam seals.  I would just like to know if anyone knows of a kit that is inexpensive but seems to be good value. There seems so may to choose from on ebay, etc. Thanks for your time it is much appreciated.  

• Like 4

Try one of the better brand names from Rockauto.com. and just get the belt, pulley, etc. Should be cheap enough and plenty of different price point (brands) to choose from. I'm not a fan of "new" car parts of ebay regardless of what others say, as it's most likely Chinese junk w/o the better name behind it.

Both are interference motors. Almost guaranteed to bend the valves if the belt or idlers fail's early .... At the least go with aisin or mitsoboshi timing kit,  you can skip the water pump unless yours is leaking. Same with cam & crank seals if they are not leaking DO NOT mess with them.

• Like 1

If you decide to go with a cheap one ... even with a name you know (likes Gates or dayco) INSPECT EVERY PART , some gates kits are made in usa... most are CHINA !  Not just the belt, every idler should be made in japan anything china made will fail sooner rather than later.  If you install a china part and your motor dies well... You get what you pay for.

• Like 1

I bought Koyo, NTN and NSK components from Japan on ebay/amazon to do my timing belt job.  I mistakenly bought a Gates Chinese Junk Kit previously and don't want to risk it failing before the next scheduled change.  

• Like 1

This item # at Ebay is the timing kit I install on every car that comes thru the shop. $236.95 delivered   Koyo ,ntn idlers mitsoboshi belt and in the box OE Subaru tensioner. Super fast delivery.  If you want the same kit with a Subaru branded belt its item # is 200858175013  $279.89 delivered.

Recently had a moon light mechanic install a timing belt kit in my 08 Outback. I bought an Aisin kit through Amazon for about $278. All parts are Japanese manufactured. My mechanic told me all components in the kit were correct, except for the water pump. The kit pump was the wrong unit. I had him re-use the old water pump.

I contacted Amazon regarding the problem. They authorized a return, so I sent them the water pump. I was surprised to get a credit on my credit card for $278, which was the entire cost of the kit.. That was a big surprise to me, as I fully expected a refund for the water pump only. I can't argue against Amazon's generosity, but it still surprises me.

Bump for another round of exposure.

I’m about to freshen up a 95 2.2 for my 92 daily driver.

Just broke the old timing down and looks like all NSK bearings that are still rolling nicely , but will be replaced. It’s a $150 engine from another Subaru head.

I have lots of used belts and pulleys that are good.  $15+ shipping.

I've never seen a belt break, even really old dry cracked ones.  

It's usually the tooth idler that goes.

Edited by lmdew
  • Like 1

I have had them break before - thankfully on non-interference engines.

My mom gave me her '91 Geo Storm GSi many years ago with about 60k miles on it. It had the DOHC 1.6L non interference. It broke the factory belt @60.5k miles, while lightly accelerating before shifting into 4th. Although a completely different Japanese engine (Isuzu IIRC) belts break regardless.

• Like 1