Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any advice or suggestions on buying an SVX?

I travel 150 miles a day round trip for work, so what I usually do

is buy cheap lower mileage Subaru for $1k-$2k, drive it for a couple years,

then get another one. It has worked out pretty well for me for quite a

few years, especially in these snowy Pennsylvania winters.

I've notice quite a few SVX's that are now in the $2k price range, and

since I always wanted one, I figure now would be the time to start looking.

So I was wondering if any of you with SVX experience could share your

thoughts on the car, what goes wrong, what isnt worth fixing, what to look

for, etc.

• Like 1

Imo, do not get an SVX as a daily unless it's less then like 10 miles.

Too many potential issues such as transmission etc.

If it's been manual swap it might be worth it. But over all they quirky cars and have there issues.

And those issues are usually not small enough to justify using it as a daily.

As much as I like the SVX, I can't recommend it for a daily driver, especially not with that long of a commute.

They're heavy, and therefore get pretty poor gas mileage.

As mentioned, parts are difficult to track down.

The transmissions were better in the later years (I just picked up a '97 with like 270k on the original transmission), but the OBD II management stuff is even more rare.

kind of have to agree with the others - the SVX is a sexy car, to be sure, but because it is SO unique (even within the Subaru family) it is not an ideal commuting car. You would be far better served by an Outback, Legacy, Forester, or Impreza (with the Impreza probably the most fuel efficient of the bunch)

My sister-in-law & her hubby had one as a "weekend" car - I was so jealous - until they started having little issues here & there and found out just how much it cost to keep it going.. yeah.. not a good commuter at all.

How does the SVX compare to the XT? I drove one of those for

several years as a daily driver.

Performance - SVX rides nice - it's basically an EJ vehicle with 230 hp though it weighs a good bit.  modern engine management, EJ suspension.

In terms of hard to find parts and information and unavailable new parts - it's exactly like the XT!

jeryst asked:

"So I was wondering if any of you with SVX experience could share your

thoughts on the car, what goes wrong, what isnt worth fixing, what to look
for, etc."

The engine in these cars seem to have less failures than do the 4 cylinder engines of the same period, and have a really stout bottom end.  That said, under the intake manifold is stuff needs looking at.  You should replace both knock sensors, and all those little rotten hoses, with blue silicone.  Also, one or two plastic vacuum check valves about the size of a bean, both mine were cracked, I replaced with "real" check valves from a junkyard Ford pick-up..
This is a non-interference engine, if timing belt breaks, you get to walk home. Changing that belt, and other stuff in there, is kind of a PITA, not a lot of room to work there.  I've replaced my belt with a Dayco, reasonable price, there are idlers and tensioner that want replacing, too.  Beware that your belt kit doesn't have Chinese bearings, some do.  Replace the water pump, make sure you have the later style pump with the impeller that looks like a 3" vented brake rotor, they are indestructible, 'till the bearing goes.  While in there, replace the thermostat bypass hose with NEW hose, and install Subaru factory thermostat and rad cap.
The auto trans in these cars is under qualified for the job, most dead SVXs I've see have dead 4EAT, which can sometimes be rebuilt, for about $4k now, if the shop will allow you to trade in you old box.  The SVX has the oldest style 4EAT, fitted with a 3.54 R&P not used en any other Subaru.  The 230 HP engine puts enough load on this that the case flexes and the R&P run out of alignment eventually,  if re-builder doesn't like your old R&P he may just refuse to do business with you.  You can buy an new R&P set from Subaru for about $400, I was thinking of getting a late Outback box and replacing the R&P myself..
I find the car a PITA to get in and out of, seat is low, door is awkward shape, steering is heavy and brakes are weak in my car, I've read this a a chronic SVX complaint, car is too heavy for the brakes..
However, if you don't mind getting stared at, and have a 200 mile tow membership with AAA, they can be a hoot to drive.. 
  • Like 2

The XT (at least the 2.7 L) is actually worse. I think i read on here that you cant even get timing components for it anymore. :-(

oil pump, decals, and at least one timing pulley was unavailable outside the few $700+ kits that show up on ebay. 

air suspension, axle boots/axles are frequently needed and can be problematic to find parts for.

stereo, fuel pump, fuel filler, fenders, steering surround, dash bezel frequently break and are hard to find/unavailable.

other parts have issues but can be worked around with minor effort like the stereo and fuel pump.