Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brumby UHF radio install

G'day from Singleton Australia !

Here's how I did my 80ch UHF radio install.

Antenna mounted on rollbar.

1hw802.jpg

Close up

oj2vqw.jpg

Old console shot with cassette deck I ripped out to put the UHF in.

qoep6x.jpg

Removed the whole console to work on it

27yaknk.jpg

Cassette deck out, look what was underneath.. original radio stuff. The original am/fm hole was hogged out with a hacksaw to take the tape deck.

sbtw6d.jpg

Needed to remove 2 plastic ridges to mount the UHF bracket flush with the internal console housing

2nlblsk.jpg

Had some stainless bolts the right diameter in the shed. They're too long but I cut them down to size.

n1z9d5.jpg

Used a dremel to slot the upper plastic ledge. The plan is to inteference fit the bolt heads under it. Checking slots for bolt diameter clearance here.

vo39kn.jpg

Bolts measured for cutting

fxdmx5.jpg

UHF radio mounting bracket measured and drilled

1z641tl.jpg

The bolt heads are an interference fit. That means the heads are taller than the slot clearance. Old plastic is brittle unless you heat it first. Wifey's hairdryer is alot more forgiving than my heat gun so I used that instead

244t92e.jpg

Bolts mounted and gently tapped home with a flat blade screwdriver and the palm of my hand for a hammer

2uu52.jpg

4wds are subject to heaps of vibration so spring washers are a must do item

28he5o4.jpg

Bracket bolted into place

1586vdt.jpg

UHF head unit bolted up to bracket

1586vdt.jpg

Here's what the console looks like from the front. I will manufacture a face plate later to make it look pretty

rtjfyc.jpg

Mounting position for the handpiece is on the front of the ashtray

2hehdzb.jpg

And bolted up

1z35474.jpg

Looks like this from the front

2z5j4zt.jpg

Fuse holder mounted

28s526r.jpg

Console installed back in the car. Thinking I'll use the old volume and tone control holes for power window switches later on

34y2qoh.jpg

All systems go !

15813f6.jpg

Job done and works like a ripper !

1hw802.jpg

Cheers, Knucklehead.

• Like 2

I don't know if I mentioned this before - I've used the side of an old oil bottle for fascia panels. It's a nice black with a "neat pattern" through it depending on where you cut the oil container. And the plastic is easy to work with which is a bonus.

Cheers

Bennie

thats a really cool looking stock radio though! would love to grab it from you but im pretty sure Australia runs on different bands than the USA. probably explains why it looks so cool. only thing it would be useful for here would be to play music through a cassette adapter.

- researched alittle and the only frequencies that i would be able to listen to here in the USA is between  87.7 MHz-90.0MHz, which usually only has church talk and talk radio on those bands lol.

Edited by Subasaurus

That's funny about those frequencies you're able to access Subasaurus, we have the same sort of thing on those frequencies too!

Knucklehead, I've always used the side, it's more uniform in thickness and can cover a larger area. Only thing is it's a cover, it can't hold weight.

Cheers

Bennie

Cool Bennie thanks !

Subasaurus: Aust radio fm band typically runs from 80mhz to 108mhz. If you want it I'll post it to you. It wasnt hooked up so Ive got no idea if it works or not. PM me your address if you're keen.

definetly interested, i sent you a PM,

thanks for the knowledge, guess i was reading an inaccurate post,

here in america we have 87.7-108  so i guess ill have an extra 80-87.6 mhz, we'll see whats in there lol.

108.0 fm is the highest my head unit goes to knucklehead.

Triple J Melbs is the last station at 107.5 that I can remember. I think there used to be an old pirate radio on 107.9 but I never listened to it...

Cheers

Bennie