Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing Issues? 2.2L SOHC

dmend

I transplanted a EJ22 2.2L SOHC (Legacy) onto my trike finished the wiring and started the engine it ran it long enough to verify the cooling fans worked and I thought everything was o.k., though I thought it was a bit noisy and found the noise to be up where the belt tensioner is located. Next day started it it ran for a few minutes and started acting like it was getting out of time so I shut it down.  Because I was pulling the radiator to replace it I opened the timing belt covers and found I never pulled the pin out of the belt tensioner when I earlier replaced the belt. I realigned everything and reinstalled the belt and this time pulled the pin on the tensioner. Started the engine again and within minutes it was acting out of time again. I went in and realigned the sprockets and reinstalled the belt and pushed the tensioner farther to the left for more tension.  Now it won't start. It turns over, wants to fire but It acts like its out of time. My Haynes manual is about useless for this. It looks like I can't adjust the valves on this engine.

Can anyone point me in a direction on how to approach resolving this problem?

Thanks,

Dmend

What ECU are you running?

I know first gen ECU's (90-94) if the idle control can't lower idle as it wants to, the ECU will cut fuel to #1 cyl to limit revs.  Makes a funky lumpy idle but smooths when driven or revved up for a moment or two.  Illuminates CEL when it does this.

I'm using the 1995 ecu that was in the donor car.  Alas, I'll have a-1 sauce on my plate of crow!  I woke up the next morning and the first thought I had was turn the gas tanks on. I found one tank was on, but that was empty and the other tank that had fuel was turned off.  I guess I was a bit more fatigued than I thought I was. I haven't tried starting it yet, but  I think this could be the source of my problems.

Thanks for your ideas.

Dmend

• 2 weeks later...