Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995 Legacy Front Axle replacement: remove roll pin or NOT

A couple years ago I replaced a front axle on one of my old Subarus, and I found that I could just pry the axle with the stubby shaft on the inboard side and get it out without having to mess with the roll pin while under the car.  I changed the stub shaft to the new axle and popped it back in.

HOWEVER....all the videos I see online, nobody does that.  They all punch out the roll pin while under the car, and leave the stub axle in the transmission.

Is there any harm to doing it by popping it out?  Seems like there was a spring ring that held it in.....

I'm doing another one this weekend, and I'm more cautious because it is my daughter's car....

Thanks for any comments.

I don't know if this will work, but here is a link to a video where they pulled the shaft out.  If the link is no good, it is on Youtube, and it is Keith and Kevin's repair and restorations and the video is called

How to replace a CV Joint in a 1996 Subaru Legacy AWD Auto Part 2 Stub Shaft / CV Joint Install

Yeah they pop out. You risk damaging the seal the stub shaft rises against or loosing the circlip, none of those happen much in practice but the roll pins are so easy Id rather leave the trans side alone.

My guess is it would be many an axle change before you ever encountered an issue. So statistics are in your favor. But Gloyale or GD May know better if these have any substantial failure modes since they see this stuff weekly if not daily.

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 2

I use roll pin method on my impreza and can wedge out the axle without needing to take apart any suspension components.  Pretty sure that wouldn't be possible with the stub method.  Also you won't spill gear oil all over if you leave the stubs in.

Pins are easy to get to on the impreza, not sure how much access there is under a legacy though.

OK, well I removed the axle yesterday, and I just gave it a jerk, and it came right out.  I didn't need to pry.  Those roll pins are so hard to get to on the passenger's side, I just went ahead and this worked fine.  I believe in later years the stub that goes into the transmission is actually part of the axle, so that's what you have to do on those models.

No fluid leaked out with the axle out.

• Like 1

OK, well I removed the axle yesterday, and I just gave it a jerk, and it came right out.  I didn't need to pry.  Those roll pins are so hard to get to on the passenger's side, I just went ahead and this worked fine.  I believe in later years the stub that goes into the transmission is actually part of the axle, so that's what you have to do on those models.

No fluid leaked out with the axle out.

My 03 Forester has the stub shaft built as part of the axle so no worries.  Getting that roll pin out on jack stands is a bear.