Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Driveshafts ! check them if getting funny noises and you cant find source!

Wow. 

So this all started back in winter, I noticed a funny rotating noise that increased with engine speed but was intermittent in nature, and would kind of go in and out depending on conditions or even bumps in the road which I thought was really crazy. It was a faint humming noise and it was driving me nuts but I decided to let it go until it got louder in hopes that I could track it down easier. 

Fast forward a few months, noise is a bit louder and I have been trying to pinpoint the conditions in which it shows up. It is intermittent, usually around 40mph, sometimes goes away after 60mph, sometimes its not there at all. it would change pitch as the car downshifted and I was starting to fear the worst (pinion bearing on the front diff or possibly trans related) !

Unlike some of you all I have to work with is my driveway, a few jack stands and a tarp to cover me if its raining....but luckily (fast forward again to yesterday) I was able to get my buddy to allow me to use a lift at his shop just to try to get under the car and listen for this highly annoying noise. 

Once I got it in the air it was evident that the intermediate bearing on the driveshaft that connects the transmission and rear diff was making the noise! Kind of a bummer since I have to replace the entire driveshaft but at least I have found it!!!\

Last night I ordered an SKP driveshaft from rock auto for 200$ Hopefully Its a reputable brand....anyone have experience with them? 

I wanted to tell everyone since I honestly dont hear much about these failing. My outback only has 120k miles on it and was never abused or off road driven and was always maintained to the letter from day one!

Seems like a rarity but looks like I got one of the bad ones driveshaft wise haha.

How many of you have had issues with yours? 

Edited by vtwinjunkie

Wow, not heard of the carrier bearing going bad before!  Usually its the u joint up at the trans that fails, if it fails at all.  My 00 work outback has 298,000 miles on original shaft.  wife's 01 outback it failed at 240,000. I have changed out several others usually with more than 200,000 miles on them. Yours going out at 120,000 really is a lemon.

I have replaced most bad drive lines with good used ones and haven't had any come back yet.  The wife's car got a new one built for it... around $450 or so with grease able ujoints.

I have heard that the rock auto drive shafts are variable, some are perfect and some are not properly balanced. I would have recommended going with a new built but you already ordered the SKP . Lets hope you get a good one! 

Wow, not heard of the carrier bearing going bad before!  Usually its the u joint up at the trans that fails, if it fails at all.  My 00 work outback has 298,000 miles on original shaft.  wife's 01 outback it failed at 240,000. I have changed out several others usually with more than 200,000 miles on them. Yours going out at 120,000 really is a lemon.

I have replaced most bad drive lines with good used ones and haven't had any come back yet.  The wife's car got a new one built for it... around $450 or so with grease able ujoints.

I have heard that the rock auto drive shafts are variable, some are perfect and some are not properly balanced. I would have recommended going with a new built but you already ordered the SKP . Lets hope you get a good one! 

Thanks Tom,

I havent ever heard of them going bad either, My car is also stock ride height so Its not like there is crazy wear on the joint either. Its super odd!

Hoping for the best with the SKP as well, they have a 12 month warranty at least! At least its not too hard to get in and out.