Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Scary power steering problem

I have a 1984 Subaru gl. So I was driving the other day and noticed that when I turned the wheel to the right that it turned more than normal to turn then turning back to the left it turned from that point so that going straight the steering wheel was pointed to the right like I was making a right turn but I was going straight if that makes sense. So I go home and wth the wheels pointed straight it will immediately turn left when he wheel is turned like it should but when turning it right it wouldn’t immediately turn and seems that the slower I turned the wheel to the right the longer it took for the wheels to start turning even tho the wheel was being turned. Any suggestions. Seems super dangerous and I’m afraid to drive it like this.

Probably the steering column u-joint/rag joint. Get a urethane one for a VW beetle. Direct replacement. 

GD

Pretty sure power steering models didn't have a rag joint.

Check the linkage obviously, but I would guess it's a valving issue int eh rack.  I had one that failed somehow and made for WAAAY over boosted steering with no feeling of return to center.  One little touch of the wheel would shoot you off into the ditch practically.

The rag joint I just replaced on my non-power steering system was one of two left at the Eugene Subaru dealer. Though I don't know whether power steering systems run these, they are available elsewhere under the part number "731336000 Rubber Coupling AY" and if Googled, they will show in numerous sources if it helps.post-60840-0-25220500-1527029655_thumb.jpg

There is a rag joint but that’s not the problem. I’ll look it over again after the rain. I don’t think it’s anything visible.

If it's nothing visible I'd be either pulling the rack out to inspect it internally - a full strip down to do this, or have someone do the steering wheel work (front wheels on some magazines) while you're looking at how everything under the bonnet is working.

I'm with GD - it seems like a rag joint issue.

Cheers

Bennie

There is a rag joint but that’s not the problem. I’ll look it over again after the rain. I don’t think it’s anything visible.

there should be no rag joint on a Factory Power steering equipped 84 EA81 car.

I just went out to my completely stock, 1984 EA81 sedan and looked.

If you have a rag joint, you DO NOT have power steering.

• Like 1

My Brumby's power steering came from an '84 touring wagon - has a rag joint and a Uni joint. Same for our other converted brumby. Both have rag joints.

Yours hasn't been swapped for another double Uni joint unit in it's life??

Cheers

Bennie

My rag top has a rag joint  :D  Stock 83 w/ps.

The observation that the wheel can be crooked intermittently while going straight means the fault is in the mechanical connection, not the hydraulic valving.

Has to be u-joint or rag joint, and I don't see a u-joint failing with that much play all of a sudden.

Can't imagine a tooth shearing off the rack or pinion. And I would say if that were the case, there would be some binding going on as well.

Rag joint.

"When the rain stops"... You mean sometime in June?

• Like 1

Gloyale is at least partially correct. The 84 PS setup doesn't use a rag joint. Neither does the EA81T.... 83 should be the same I would think.... 82 might. I'm not sure. There are some differences.

Regardless the OP said he does have a rag joint so.....

Sounds like if it's not the rag or the coupler that the rack is bad or the problem is higher up in the column like the u-joint for the tilt....

IDK. Sounds like its pretty messed up. Never had one of these do that to me.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

So I seen this the other day but had no one to turn the wheel for me. So I called my daughter over to help me and here’s the problem. 2 missing bolts on one side allowing the whole thing to slide back and forth and even pulling the casing out. Seems like a easy fix. Wish me luck