Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Putting cams, cam plates and valve train back after head resurfacing on 07  ej25. How do you tell which cam, cam plate, and valve train go with which head. Looks like cams aren't switchable. I beleive the valve trains can be used on either head and the cam plates are for the specific head, either drivers side or passenger side.

Along the top of the head and the Cam carrier there should be 2 letters stamped.  Like "OV" or "TY".  They are random pairs, but they will match between the pair carrier/head.  Same matching setup they use for connecting rods/caps.

As for which cam carrier is drivers or passenger.........I look for the carrier that had the Cam sensor on it......that is the drivers side.  If your engine has EGR that's another really easy way to identify the drivers side head.

Match the letters to get the appropriate head/carrier combo.

Then the Cam with the threads at the "long" end is the Drivers side cam.

It really is best to keep the rocker assemblies matched too.....as they ride on the Cam and are worn to a particular lobe.  But not critical, if they get mixed up.

DEFINATELY....set the valve clearance once the heads are assembled.

IN MILLIMETERS

0.10-0.20 for intake

0.15-0.30 for exhaust

Translated to inches, I ussually set the intakes as close to .006" as I can, and then exhaust to .009 or .010

Along the top of the head and the Cam carrier there should be 2 letters stamped.  Like "OV" or "TY".  They are random pairs, but they will match between the pair carrier/head.  Same matching setup they use for connecting rods/caps.

As for which cam carrier is drivers or passenger.........I look for the carrier that had the Cam sensor on it......that is the drivers side.  If your engine has EGR that's another really easy way to identify the drivers side head.

Match the letters to get the appropriate head/carrier combo.

Then the Cam with the threads at the "long" end is the Drivers side cam.

It really is best to keep the rocker assemblies matched too.....as they ride on the Cam and are worn to a particular lobe.  But not critical, if they get mixed up.

DEFINATELY....set the valve clearance once the heads are assembled.

IN MILLIMETERS

0.10-0.20 for intake

0.15-0.30 for exhaust

Translated to inches, I ussually set the intakes as close to .006" as I can, and then exhaust to .009 or .010

Thank you Gloyale. I matched them up with the two letter code stamped on the heads and cam carriers..

• Like 1