Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So what did I break at Rallycross THIS time?

As some of you may know, last rallycross (a month ago) I broke a throttle cable, but was able to ghetto rig it enough to finish my 3 runs.

This time during my first run the car started to get hot near the finish. I was able to finish but by the time I stopped steam was EVERYWHERE!

I had deleted the preheat line to the base of the carb and stupidly used vac plugs clamped on. Apparently they werent tight enough because at 6000 RPM the water pump builds enough pressure to blast it off and cover everything under the hood with antifreeze.

So... a new coolant line, a stud to PLUG the line with and 3 hose clamps later I have a hose again, but its internally blocked with that stud which is clamped in so it cant move...

I was able to get in 2 more runs, but not for points, they were with the PGT croud (not open) so they wouldnt count. But I sure got to fling alot of mud because I was close after the water truck :grin:

Makes me wonder... whats gonna break on the first lap of the NEXT rallycross :rolleyes:

As some of you may know, last rallycross (a month ago) I broke a throttle cable, but was able to ghetto rig it enough to finish my 3 runs.

This time during my first run the car started to get hot near the finish. I was able to finish but by the time I stopped steam was EVERYWHERE!

I had deleted the preheat line to the base of the carb and stupidly used vac plugs clamped on. Apparently they werent tight enough because at 6000 RPM the water pump builds enough pressure to blast it off and cover everything under the hood with antifreeze.

So... a new coolant line, a stud to PLUG the line with and 3 hose clamps later I have a hose again, but its internally blocked with that stud which is clamped in so it cant move...

I was able to get in 2 more runs, but not for points, they were with the PGT croud (not open) so they wouldnt count. But I sure got to fling alot of mud because I was close after the water truck :grin:

Makes me wonder... whats gonna break on the first lap of the NEXT rallycross :rolleyes:

Nice!

I have been thinking about blocking that line on my SPFI for a while now - notice any improvements? I was actually thinking about putting a valve in so that I could open it in the winter...

Its hard to tell what difference it makes... on an SPFI I say leave it like it is.

the car runs warmer than it used to (before it blew the head gasket that is.)

When I did the head gasket replacement I changed the thermostat back to a factory 195 as opposed to the autozone 180, so that may be the only reason its warmer... not sure... thats why they say to do 1 thing at a time on certain things.

All I know is the car can idle for 10-15+ minutes and not overheat, so I'm happy.