Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 opinions

The growth of my family has led me to the conclusion that a change in vehicles is an imperative in the near future. Two kids, two labrador retreivers and stuff don't work in a Brat very well. I also tow a small boat. We've got a Montero for our real car but I can't leave mama with two Brats while I use the Montero and go play. I'm looking for an EA82 Wagon and am fairly unfamiliar with them. My suby experience is solely with the 4 Brats that I've owned at this point. Ideally, I'd like to have D/R 5 speed. I'm not interested in a turbo for reliability reasons and A/c is a must in the Florida heat. Any one have opinions on years/models to look for? I'm a 99% on roader but like the 4wd for boat ramps and some sandy stuff that I encounter while cartopping my kayaks or canoe.

Are all GL-10 vehicles turbo'd? Is a digital dash to be avoided? Are there any A/T models that are reliable and efficient, or should they be avoided like the plague? I know that you guys have a ton of experience and I'd love to hear some opinions. Thanks in advance.

I would suggest looking at first generation Legacy wagons. You can get them with AWD and 4speed automatic transmission. They are very well built as far as engine/drivetrain. Quite a few buggy electrical issues; mostly to do with cabin options. I loved my Legacy wagon and it was quite reliable. What repairs I did have to make I found to be just as easy as my EA82 SPFI.

You can get an SPFI wagon from 87 to 89 with a D/R 5 speed.

Most of the GL-10s are turbo, not all

3AT was not the only auto transmission available, 4EAT became available in 87, but I have only ever seen it in turbo models

Digidashes from 87 and up don't tend to be problematic.

Relaibility of a turbo? No problem if its maintained.. I have been using the same turbo motor for 2 years and the only failures I have had have been things that could have happened on any EA82. Nothing turbo specific.