Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How much is a Dual Range Worth?

I found a wagon with the 5 speed Dual range tranny in the junk yard. It is the same year and interior color as my '87. They want $385 for the whole thing. This would be swapping in place of my 5 speed push button unit.

Is that price worth it? I have no idea.

Is my setup worth selling to help recoup the costs? The yard is not interested in a trade.

I would like a dual range but I dont want to break the bank to do it.

Thanks.

$385 for a dual range is ridiculous. Is your car a turbo or nonturbo? If it's a nonturbo, all you need is the trans and shifters. When I have them I sell them for $125-$150 and wouldn't expect to pay any more. If you have a turbo, you need the above plus the rear diff and front axles. I wouldn't pay more than $60-75 for a used diff and no more than 20 each for used axles. Depending on the region, this stuff may be worth more or less. But no matter where you are, $385 is highway robbery.

Thanks for the eye opener!

My car is a turbo car.

The car in the yard is a non turbo MPFI car.

So, basically, I need to find a unit out of a turbo car to keep the stonger front axles?

Edit: What happend to my sig? I had my car info in there.

My car is an '87 GL10 Turbo wagon Push button 4 wheel. Thanks

Alot depends on where you are at. The cheapest manual tranny I have found here was $250 and I had to go to N. Sioux City to get it. I paid $500 from a wrecking yard for a push button auto when I first started with Roos. On the left coast those guys get trannies for $60. Best thing to do is shop around. Later, Tim

So, from reading what you wrote, I'm not sure if you are saying the tranny is $385 or the whole car is $385. If it is the whole car, then you'll have plenty of spare parts and it would be worth it. If it is the tranny alone, I'd say no, you could drive to Spokane and get one cheaper. You might be able to sell enough parts to pay for the trade.

As corky just said, come up here to Spokane. At the local Pull N' Save yard, all trannies are only $50. They usually have 10-15 subarus in the yard. I know that there is an 88 sedan that has the D/R 5 sp. in it, i just pulled the valance off of it today along withe the drivers side turn signal assembly.

$385 is an absolute rip off for just a tranny.

You Don't need to find an 87 gl-10 w/ an D/R 5spd to swap into your car. B/c you already have the turbo, any D/R 5spd will go in. I don't know if they even made gl-10's w/ D/R 5spds?

I've thought about doing this conversion, but from what other board members are telling me, my clutch is about to go, so thats first.

Anyway, Good luck,

Sandee:

I went thru a long streak where I couldn't find a d/r 5 speed - period!! I don't know if it was region I live in, availablilty or bad luck, but they were nowhere to be found. The best I could do was a rebuildable core with the "R" gear out.

Now they seem to be all over the place. Go figure. Makes no sense whatsoever. You might just have to wait it out to get a good deal.

$385 might not be unreasonable for an exceptional parts car. Then again, $385 might be enough to land a decent EA82 driver.

Maybe that's what you should be setting your sights on...

good luck, John

Thanks for all of the reply's :D

The $385 is just for the Tranny. If it was for the car, I would have bought it no problem. The car is in real nice condition. It was hit in the front side but not too bad at all. Easily fixed with a core, hood and fender. Paint is better then mine! It also looks almost like mine (same colors in and out) but its not a GL10 so it does not have the options. Its almost a shame to see it there. Even the interior is in good condition.

Sounds like it worth looking around some then. I'll hit some of the other yards and see what I can find.

I wouldnt mind heading up to Spokane, but where I'm at, that would be a pretty good drive.

I paid $1000 for the car I have now and the only thing I wish it had was the dual range. I tried to go a few places where it had the traction but just not the gearing.

My old '79 Brat had the same problem. I think that was the funnest car I ever had. :cool:

Im pretty sure i heard no GL-10s came with a manual tranny they were all autos. My first project whenever i finally get Turbones 84 coupe is to drop an ea-82 5 sp d/r in it. Should be fun seeing as how im 16 and havent really dont a lot with em yet. But if got the tools and ive got the will so i might as well eh?

GL-10's did come with single range 5 spds, but not D/R. I'm not sure if they came with the 3AT, don't think so, but I could be wrong...

Yup, they came with the 3AT.. I've had 3 of them (GL-10s) that did.. my current driver was a 3AT before I got my hands on it :)

Im pretty sure i heard no GL-10s came with a manual tranny they were all autos. My first project whenever i finally get Turbones 84 coupe is to drop an ea-82 5 sp d/r in it. Should be fun seeing as how im 16 and havent really dont a lot with em yet. But if got the tools and ive got the will so i might as well eh?
Lots of GL-10s came as a manual..just no D/R(unless the RX FT4WD was an option.. don't know about that.. never seen or heard of one) The manual in my GL-10 came from another GL-10.. Heck, since you are looking at Turbones car, just have a look at his 86 GL-10 with the factory 5 speed.

Yep, my 86 GL-10 came with a 5 speed push button 4WD tranny, but now has a D/R (3.90) in it, maybe later this summer it will have either a S/R Center Locking 5 speed Fulltime 4WD or a D/R Center Locking 5 speed Fulltime 4WD tranny in it with a 5 bolt conversion, then I'll put it up for sale (so start saving your pennys).