Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finally, some pics of my new Brat...

I've had her for almost two months and I'm finally getting some shots online. You can see the Silver Targa stripes I got from Ed Dahl. I have shots of the standard wagon wheels that I got her with and with a set of 15" Pugs that I got at the yard.

16Becca_Wagon_Wheels_Sc.JPG

16Becca_Pugs_Sc.JPG

I like the look alot better with the pugs, and I like the way it drives too.

But I have a question, the Pugs came from the yard with 195/60-15's (real crappy with dry rot and cracks) and I was expecting more of a "lift" from the stock 185/70-13's. But a few measurements I took show the same clearance between the two sets of wheels????

Using a tire size calculator I was expecting 1/2" or so difference. There seemed to be a lot of room all around, maybe I'll go with a bigger size??

Is there alot of difference in the amount of tread on the tires? If the 15s are almost bald and the 13s have alot of tread left on them that could make a difference.Just a thought.Dave.

Actually all 8 are fairly bald but the 15's actually have a little more tread than the 15's.

Guest taprackready

Not all tire manufactures use the same standard's in regards to casing size. You can have two different brand tires of the same size according to the sidewall and they will not be exactlly the same size.

Bill

So go ahead and get you some 205/50 15's, preferably some sticky ones. Cut 1/2 a coil out of the front to lower it a bit.(don't worry when winter comes, use the factory adjustment to get it back up to fit the snowtires), clock the rear torsion bar one tooth on the outside ends to lower the rear(same for the snowtires for the rear). Find an XT6, get the rear swaybar, cut two inches off the ends, make some mounts for the lower control arms, get some GR2's for the back(Good luck with the front!), weld.

While your in the yard getting the Swaybar, find the rear discs from a 4WD XT, don't forget the little hard lines and clips, and install those.

2" exhaust from the heads, you didn't forget to strip the emmissions and get that Weber did you? How about the Blaster 2 coil?

OK, do all that and deliver it to Bent Mountain here in VA.

Oh, Did you say you wanted it TALLER?

Regards,

Jay

Sharp Brat.

Some 28 inch swampers will take care of those measurements....... And a small 4 inch lift....

Seriously Dave, if you get a lift, bring it down and I will install it for you.

Here are some pics of Hocrest's BRAT at the Carlisle show:

carlisle7.jpg

carlisle12.jpg

And look, even the tailgate and chrome cap are solid.

carlisle16.jpg

OK, do all that and deliver it to Bent Mountain here in VA.

Regards,

Jay

OK, give me a couple of weeks and I'll have it right down to ya' :grin:

Seriously Dave, if you get a lift, bring it down and I will install it for you.

Thanks for the offer, and I'll keep that in mind, but for now I don't want to lift it. Just looking for another inch or so...

Thanks also for posting the extra photos.

I really think the acceleration/gearing would be better with just a little bit larger wheel. There is plenty of low end that seems to be wasted and not much left once I get above 70...

I'm not planning on doing any major offroading, just playing around on some trails and such :)