Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Legacy/Outback vs. Forester

I currently own a '95 Legacy wagon and am ready for a new vehicle.

I've driven both the 2005 Legacy and a 2004 Forester and besides the general reasons we all like Subarus, each has their own strong points:

'05 Legacy: Excellent build quality. A car-like driving experience, very nice design.

'04 Forester: Higher ride, more SUV-like, super visability, great deals available right now.

Weaknesses:

'05 Legacy: Price is pretty high, and it doesn't appear you could put in an aftermarket stereo (I like my MP3s), you can't get a moonroof without the big-bucks leather package.

'04 Forester: I heard some rattles on the car I test drove, ride quality isn't quite as good as the '05 Legacy,

Has anybody else done a comparison? What do you think?

I've driven both the 2005 Legacy and a 2004 Forester and besides the general reasons we all like Subarus, each has their own strong points:

'05 Legacy: Excellent build quality. A car-like driving experience, very nice design.

'04 Forester: Higher ride, more SUV-like, super visability, great deals available right now.

Weaknesses:

'05 Legacy: Price is pretty high, and it doesn't appear you could put in an aftermarket stereo (I like my MP3s), you can't get a moonroof without the big-bucks leather package.

'04 Forester: I heard some rattles on the car I test drove, ride quality isn't quite as good as the '05 Legacy,

I did this same comparison last week, and I came out an '04 Forester owner as of Saturday. It was a very hard decision for me, but it came down to the fact that the Forester was more "FUN" to drive. My previous cars were Hondas and VW's. I do mostly city driving and it is great to zip around in! It rides really solid and I haven't noticed any rattles or noises, and I am "KEEN" on noises. I got a really great deal, over and above the $1M Reabate! Good luck! :)

I think it kinda depends on what you want....

The Outback is a plush nice ride. You sit deep in the car.

The Forester is not as plush. You sit higher and look down on the road.

I was looking for either too. I test drove everything Subaru made.

I purchased the Forester because I got a better deal. Both cars are going to get you from point A to B.

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

• 11 months later...

Weaknesses:

I drove a Legacy 5-speed a few years back and found it to be comfortable but slow even with the stick. I bought a base Forester 5-speed last January and like it much better. The 2.5 engine with the stick is quick enough to have fun with and always produces smiles above 3000 rpm. The car handles well and visbility is great. More than that, Foresters have character. They're neither a ute nor a car, but have qualities of both. As far as rattles go I fixed them myself. They came from a few places: under the dash from swinging plastic connectors, the headliner in the rear when the car flexes torsionally but ceased after a few months, and the rear seats rattled until I unsnapped the seat cover sides and put some sheet foam in them. These noises only occurred after going over a bump or manhole cover, etc. On the highway the car is fantastic, quiet and smooth. As a higher end model the Legacy was tighter, but not near as much fun. Good luck in your choice.

I have always thought the legacy is a better car on the highway to drive. We have a few in the family in New Zealand and they are really pleasant on a winding road.

Over here in the US I have a Forester because it takes anything in it or on it I need to haul, turns around in my driveway in one cut, and scoots or parks easily in SF.

Right now I have it full of sailing gear as I am going beer can racing tonight.

If I lived in the country I think I would prefer a Legacy, and if the driveway was nasty enough, maybe an Outback. The OB sport is a bit too small for my hauler car.