Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is good lift for a Brat?

lepetitprince

Soo, the thread about the lift kits for the Brat in marketplace was closed, so I'm writing one up here to get more information on the kits from you guys. I'm pretty sure there are lot more kits than one from ozified, and I would like to open my eyes bigger and see what else is out there. Plus, I would like to spend less money on the lift and spend more money on rebuilding/putting mods on the engine I have. Sooo, name of the kit, price, and pros/cons would be great.

Thanks so much

Dan

You have 4 options for lifts in the US.

1. BYB/Ozified kits http://www.ozified.com

2. Mudrat Customs in Eugene

3. BratBull lifts in OR (from other thread)

4. Make it yourself, using instructions from http://www.subarubrat.com

I have had 4 soobs (3 brats and a wagon) that were lifted with the BYB/Ozified kits. everything you need is included with them, including the bolts, which are pricey to get.

Ozified Pro's:

• Easy to read instructions
  • Every bolt is supplied.
  • Geometry is untouched, without the need of adjusting anything (as far as camber etc...)
  • Time tested and proven.
  • Unlimited support from the USMB incase anything should go wrong

Con's:

• Puts you in a seperate mindset, allowing you to beat the snot out of your Subaru.

-Brian

or a bolt on 4 with a few tweaks/grinds/upgrades to get 5" :)

I see it as three stages.

Stage 1, bolt on 3 or 4 inch kit.

Stage 2, fabricated 6~8 inch kit with stock type drive train

Stage 3, fabricated 8 inch plus with Tcase

Scorpion automotive offers a 2" lift. But they're in Australia and s&h will kill the price. You could probably contact any of these lift builders we have in the US and they could probably come up with a simple 2" lift. It wouldnt be hard to get 2" out of the rear torsion bars alone, and then you would just need some small blocks up front.

-Brian

You guys are the experts... Any way to do it without adjusting that torsion bar?

Scorpion automotive offers a 2" lift. But they're in Australia and s&h will kill the price. You could probably contact any of these lift builders we have in the US and they could probably come up with a simple 2" lift. It wouldnt be hard to get 2" out of the rear torsion bars alone, and then you would just need some small blocks up front.

-Brian

Sure, blocks. You could install EA82 springs, but that would give you more than 2" and a real stiff rear end. You can remove and alter the torsion bar to get another 2" out of it. Its relativly safe and as effective as a block lift. You shouldnt need to lower the rear diff for another 2".

-Brian

If you clock the torsion bar down, you will need longer shocks, or mount extenders. It will also move the wheel forward in the wheel well, and will look "funny" like my wagon does. If you are going for looks, I would reccomend blocks. Have a chat with PK - he could probably make you a 2" kit easy enough.

GD

Thanks Ill talk to PK about it... do you have a email address???

If you clock the torsion bar down, you will need longer shocks, or mount extenders. It will also move the wheel forward in the wheel well, and will look "funny" like my wagon does. If you are going for looks, I would reccomend blocks. Have a chat with PK - he could probably make you a 2" kit easy enough.

GD

Thanks for all the good words here (and other threads) guys! :)

For Brats, I recommend a 4/3 or 3/2 kit. With the 3/2, leave the front spring adjustments down, and the rear torsion just a teenie bit (couple turns) from all down (not clocked) to keep the ride very nice, and fairly level. Then go with 25" tires on 14" Pugs. No fender cutting and power is great, and freeway cruising is even greater. Side benefit is you still have about 9 inches ground clearance, and a very capable rig with good looks.

My email : pkdavis@ozified.com to talk specifics. thanks, PK.

If I would like to go higher than 4/3, without any fabrication works, what is the option for that? I was wondering if other mods can be correlated with pk lifts, such as the suspension lift. I know there is some board members who runs front springs from ea82 wagon, and rx torsion bar to get gain two more inches(I'm not sure if I'm correct with this), but also heards some storires about, using the springs in the front is bad for the axle? Any suggestion to overcome this problems? If it is possible, what extra aids does it need to run this mods safely?

Thanks

Dan

If I would like to go higher than 4/3, without any fabrication works, what is the option for that? I was wondering if other mods can be correlated with pk lifts, such as the suspension lift. I know there is some board members who runs front springs from ea82 wagon, and rx torsion bar to get gain two more inches(I'm not sure if I'm correct with this), but also heards some storires about, using the springs in the front is bad for the axle? Any suggestion to overcome this problems? If it is possible, what extra aids does it need to run this mods safely?

Thanks

Dan

You won't be able to go above 4/3 without some fabrication. Ozified lift is currently the only one worth a crap on the market for mass consumption in the US. It comes completely boxed and ready to go.

Or you could go with 'the other' lift..:rolleyes:

lift.jpg

What I was saying was, if there could be any addition to lift the car after putting in pk lift. Like PK Lift(4" / 3") + 2" suspension lift? = 6" front/ 5" rear?

Thanks

Dan

I will repeat. You will not be able to go above what the Ozified lift offers without fabrication. If you can design and fabricate your own stuff, then yes, the Ozified lift can be added to

If I would like to go higher than 4/3, without any fabrication works, what is the option for that?

None, Zero, Zilch, Nada.

Without fabrication you are screwed, stuffed, stuck, out of luck.

Comprende?

We at kp lifts would like to say that we make a good 6" lift kit.It comes with easy instructions for installing the kit,and you get our e-mail address for fast replys on installing questions.It also comes with all grade 8 bolts with self locking nuts.The only thing you will need is rear coilover shocks from a 85-up subaru wagon.Everything is bolt in ,but the steering linkage that you have to cut ,and then slide the steering linkage sleve over the steering linkage,and weld in.The sleve only works on non power sterring ,but we are working on that.The strut tower are adjustable so you can set your correct tire angle, and our kits are made from 1/4" steel and welded by a certified welder.We are cheep so the little guy can have a good lift ,and not spend a lot of money.We have new designs that are being tested now ,and hope to be selling them soon.Buyers of the kits get upgrades at our cost.We will soon have a new design for the rear suspension that will be awesome.That will be shown for the first time at the wcss the westcost subaru show,and will become part of the kits.some other options that will be coming soon are rubberized kits so they don't get surface rust in states where that would be a problem.We will have chrome kits ,and painted kits for performance and show.Our cost will go up but not much!The kits do not work on ac subarus because the ac compressor needs a 1" lift bracket made that is not in the kit.We also have a 12" lifted 1983 gl-10 sedan that we are using for testing the 12" lifts that will be for sell soon.If you would like to see pictures e-mail me at bratbull@yahoo.com Thank you!

We at kp lifts would like to say that we make a good 6" lift kit.It comes with easy instructions for installing the kit,and you get our e-mail address for fast replys on installing questions.It also comes with all grade 8 bolts with self locking nuts.The only thing you will need is rear coilover shocks from a 85-up subaru wagon.Everything is bolt in ,but the steering linkage that you have to cut ,and then slide the steering linkage sleve over the steering linkage,and weld in.The sleve only works on non power sterring ,but we are working on that.The strut tower are adjustable so you can set your correct tire angle, and our kits are made from 1/4" steel and welded by a certified welder.We are cheep so the little guy can have a good lift ,and not spend a lot of money.We have new designs that are being tested now ,and hope to be selling them soon.Buyers of the kits get upgrades at our cost.We will soon have a new design for the rear suspension that will be awesome.That will be shown for the first time at the wcss the westcost subaru show,and will become part of the kits.some other options that will be coming soon are rubberized kits so they don't get surface rust in states where that would be a problem.We will have chrome kits ,and painted kits for performance and show.Our cost will go up but not much!The kits do not work on ac subarus because the ac compressor needs a 1" lift bracket made that is not in the kit.We also have a 12" lifted 1983 gl-10 sedan that we are using for testing the 12" lifts that will be for sell soon.If you would like to see pictures e-mail me at bratbull@yahoo.com Thank you!

paragraphs rule :drunk:

Here's what I did for a 5" lift.....

the rear camber is off a bit and it's a rougher ride. if it's a street mostly vehicle, you will not want to do this....

the one inch spacer block was an idea kicked around by Qman and Zap some time ago to help the camber issue, and axle angle.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/80s/mick/5inchlift.html