Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Outback transmission issues?

A few days ago a valet asked me if I was aware of my impending transmission problem. I have noticed that when I change gears (automatic) there is a loud "clunk" noise. Can anyone tell me if this is the transmission problem the valet was referring to? Also, the valet mentioned some kind of preventive transmission maintenance. Does anyone know what the heck this guy is talking about?

The clunking could very well be your CV joints. Our '99 is starting to clunk a little when changing from R to D at ~160k miles.

The fluid and filter in automatic transmissions should be changed periodically, every 20k-30k miles or so. Probably the most commonly neglected periodic maintanence item along with cooling systems.

The car has about 90,000 miles on it. The clunk generally only happens when going from park to reverse and/or park to drive.

The dealership I just took my car to just called to say I need the all wheel drive rebuilt and a few other things which add up to $2246.61. Does this sound correct? I only paid $7000 for the car. Also, my husband told me there is something I can do to turn off the all wheel drive so I can get better gas mileage. I don't even care about the all wheele drive. What should I do?

how many miles on the car?

this clunk... does it happen every time you change gears in EVERY gear??

does the gear engage/take off immediately? or is there hesitation?

Jamie

putting the car into 2WD will not help your gas mileage much if at all.

basically, with that many miles the AT transfer clutch/drive may be beginning to fail... so yes, basically, you may indeed need a transmission rebuild....

definately sounds as though it is beginning to slip based on your description.

and yes, it's quite an expensive repair :(

sorry! best of luck to you

Jamie