Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel pump power

I have a 86 gl-10 turbo . The old fuel pump died so I replaced it and have hooked a 12vdc power supply to pump gas to engine compartment in cup. I know that works! When I turn key and activate starter or leave it (run ) I get no fuel pump be energized. Any fuses with fuel appear to be ok. With fuel line open like there should be no pressuure shut off activated. Does the fuel pump run continuous while cruising down the road? It was working when I parted it 6 months ago. I don't think any varmits have gotten to wiring. I haven't seen the blue and white wire at fuse box. Do they split off some where else? Thanks!

Well - there is more to it than just some fuses. I'm not the one to ask about an EA82, but on EA81's there is a Fuel Pump Control Unit that will cease to function unless the engine is running..... I'm sure that a similar system is used to accomplish this safety feature on your rig. You should aquire a manual with the proper wireing diagram for the fuel pump circuit.

GD

When I connect the green test connectors under the steering column and turn my key to "on" (don't have to start car). The fuel pump relay clicks over and you can hear the pump run, kinda like darth vader breathing, slow ooooooonnnnnnnnn offffffffff, ooooooooooooon, offfffffffffffffffff. repeat. Maybe your relay fried? Bty this is on my 86 turbo wagon.

:) Thanks Folks, It was the relay! I had one in my parts cache. I had to work with mitchells and chilton w/d so it took me a while to make sure I was at the right relay because the wire colors weren't exactly. Like rd/bk when it was bk/rd etc. It was a real good learning experience for me as I have a much better understanding of the use of relays.