Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT flat-belt system conversion to turbo wagon

i am attempting this conversion out of having no replacement ac compressor for jim's turbo wagon.

all was going well, swapping from the inboard alt/square compressor to the outboard alt/round compressor.

i got so far as to realize the xt pulley for teh power steering wont fit. i tried to dril it out, but the offset is defferent. the pump itself wont fit the other bracket. i found a nonXT round ompressor, but i cant find the stupid idler pulley. i know i gave jim a complete assembly once, but im not gonna tear his house down looking for it while he's at work. other than that, it was suposed to work.

so here is what im working with and my options at this point:

1. put it back together like it was, keep bad compressor. there is another square compressor, but the hoses for it are 1 bolt instead of 2

2. find the missing tensioner pulley and keep the v-belt setup

3. take up the intake and swap power steering pump/brackets

this realy gets me, hoping to have it done before jim gets home, because i have the opportunity to go with danny to doo some floor maint. work and make some money.

i dont want to take the intake up without jim's opinion first. so i may as well sit here and look at 2 torn apart subarus until then

jim has all kinds of parts and gasket sets falling out of his rump roast from ebay, but no dual port intakes that i saw. maybe if i'm lucky the gaskets will stay with the intake or the manifold when i take it up. i have had success using used gaskets on my own cars, even with an broken intake bolt on one side. but this is jims car, he always had GENUINE parts for me to use. otherwise i would, but that's not my call at this point