Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TWE headers and downpipes

Okay, lets see how many are still interested in the TWE headers and downpipes.

Here is the original thread on it:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12054&highlight=tech+works

And here is second thread on it:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13514&highlight=tech+works

Here is TWE's last message to WJM:

Hi Will,

How many orders are there for headers and how many for down pipes?

Please note that the IHI turbo flanges are $20 more than the T-25 style

and $18 more for the IHI style downpipe.

A 50%deposit is required on custom orders (non-stock items). Please

contact Keith Croucher at sales@techworkseng.com or call (403)288-8568.

PS. One local customer has recinded his order as well. So if I am not

mistaken, this puts the total quantity at 5 which is not very appealing.

Let us know as we will probably still do the run of 10.

Tom Penner

Tech Works Engineering Inc.

Making Technology Affordable......

techworkseng@techworkseng.com

(403)288-8568

Here is WJM's last message:
Listen guys, im really sorry, but I cannot keep up with this anymore. Ive been working 16 hours at my new job and I have not even had time to pull parts for people who need them. I can barely afford to keep both the RX and GL-10 going...and im trying to move the DL out of my way. All the info is there, that email I got tonight, some need to step up an take my position, because i am simply not here during the hours that I need to be to take care of all of this.

Again, sorry guys.

I want to know how many headers and/or downpipes before I contact TWE. Also let me know what turbo you plan to use because I am going to see if TWE will make these pipes with different flanges. So let me know if you plan to use the stock turbo, Legacy/Imprezza turbo, or whatever you like. The list attached will show who wants what. I'll keep updating it.

TWE.doc

Is this enough to make an order?

Last I remembered, it wasn't the amount of people ordering that prompted and order but when they had time to work on the header and downpipes. You just had to wait until they had time.

Call them up! It may be prime time right now. If I had a EA82-T, I would've been bugging the hell out of those guys to be the first (and maybe only) person to get the parts. They may even make you up one of each so you could stop bugging them.

That's what I did with Unorthodox Racing until they made me a pulley for my XT6. Now he (Joe Menechino...UR owner) won't make anymore individual pulleys. :lol: Give them a call or calls man. :D

I gave Tom from TWE a call today! I didn't know exactly what to ask him. I told him we have six people interested in 6 downpipes and 6 headers. He said that that was enough to make them, but he will probably just build 10 of them anyways.

The downpipes and headers are mandrel bent and are made with 304 stainless steel. He said that the labor would be cheaper to use bolts and nuts to connect the pipes to the turbo instead of using studs. I am not sure if we get to choose between bolts or studs. The end of the downpipe that points to the rear of the car will have a generic two bolt flange. It will not bolt to the stock mid pipe, but you wouldn't want to connect it to the stock pipes anyways. So you will need to figure that part on your own.

He also said that these pipes will fit both EA82 and EA81 turbo cars. He said something about relocating the turbo on the EA82 a little farther back and a little higher up in order to clear the dual intake? He said something about working on a EA82T with a carb? I thought all turbo cars were dual intake? I think maybe he was talking about the EA81T or something.

This is a custom order and he said that they do need a 50% deposit on custom orders. All custom orders take 4 to 6 weeks.

He also said that he has two used gt17 turbos for sale if anybody is interested. He wants $375 for each of them. I don't know too much about turbos, so don't ask me any questions about that.

He also said that we each need to email or call Keith Croucher at sales@techworkseng.com or (403)288-8568. Keith will not be in until Tuesday, so shoot him an email anytime or wait until Tuesday before calling.

Headers I think cost around $365-$375 plus the cost of flanges. Downpipes will cost $169 plus the cost of flanges. I think the prices of the flanges are listed in the first post of this thread in Tom's email to WJM.

TWE will send each downpipe and/or header directly to you. Place your order with Keith (man in charge of sales). Tell him exactly what you want and what flanges you want. I assume he will get you the exact price for the pipes with the flanges you want and shipping charges. Then you can pay him the 50% deposit. It wouldn't be a bad idea to mention the USMB so that they know that we are all in this together. Call Tom Penner at (403)288-8568 if you have any technical questions.

Wow Marck! Great, Great info. You can get a Turbo upgrade, headers AND a downpipe for under 1k? Excellent! The long wait will kill most people though. No-one wants to wait that long. That's 2 months or so. :-\ I'm telling you guys, if I had a EA81T or EA82T, I'd be all over this. First thing I'd do is grab one of those turbos.