Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tell me your rally setup

So im sittin here and im bored out of my mind... got to thinkin about rallying. I always hear about everyones offroading experiences but apart from rallycross results i dont hear a whole lot about rallying. Any info at all would be cool... favorites places to go, maybe some vids or pics etc etc. And most importantly i would like ideas on what to put on. Tell me your setups what do you use. What kind of lights? Lift or no? tires? wheels? engine mods? other mods? etc etc etc just anything about rallying. Thanks in advanced

Cheers:drunk:

One of the coolest things about running a Brat in the rally-x (in my opinion), is that it's the only soob that runs in truck class. Truck class is pretty open for modifications and such, so a Weber and built engine are allowed. The reason Brat's nearly always dominate truck class is because with the exception of the bed itself, the Brat really is a car. It has a car drivetrain, D/R 4WD, and a car suspension. So basically we get to legally cheat. Almost nothing in truck class can even come close to a Brat except another Brat. Some of the Durango's with 350 HP can compete when the track is dry, but when it gets wet they can't stay on the track, and the Brats take over. The top finishers in truck class at the last rally consisted of 4 Brat's and 1 Baja.

The other soobs that do surprisingly well are the Justy's. With a competent driver, and pushing 63 HP at only 1700 lbs, the 4WD models tear the track apart. It's really amazing how well they do for their small stature.

GD

Yeah i noticed that in the last rallycross results how much the brats dominate. They really are excellent car/truck's. I always hear people trash talking the Justys... whats that all about. Just cause theyre missing a cylinder... I believe you though that they rip up rallying... i can totally picture one of those ripping up track. Thanks

I live in Bend Oregon. Pretty much any direction you drive you run into endless forest service roads. I love to explore so, the suby has logged some major miles off road around here.At first I babyed my car around but, once I learned my car could take a major beating, it was on! I love the feeling of being in 3rd gear full throttle in 4wd on a gravel corner with a little oversteer. Addicting!!!

The Scandinavian Flick is my favorite trick.

Check out my web site for my mods. click on my name and goto home page.

sorry don't know URL of hand.

If you rally around here in the summer make sure you have something to put out a fire with. I have never had to put out my own fire but,I put out other peoples fires . You will have to pay to put it out if you start it. Could be hundreds of thousand of dollars or more. That's why I'm putting on a spark arrestor. I also carry a bunch of stuff to get me out of trouble. H20,comealong & tow straps, full size spare , maps , ect. Note. one hour of driving equals about one day of hiking. Something to keep in mind.

Ya, I live in an area where in pretty much any direction are endless rally- I mean service roads. Before the motor puked up a couple rings my setup was an 84 Turbo Hardtop, 11psi of boost, NDJ Eng. Auto-trans, rear suspension all the way up, front suspension all the way down, Steely-Del proto-type A-frame brushguard with 100 watt halogens. 195-60R13 B.F. Goodrich Radial T/A's, 4 corner disc brakes with 60% rear bias. Lets just say that this car kicked some serious butt when it was running, I went up against a B210 and a couple Nissans, and whoa!! Granted it wasn't actual sanctioned rallye's but one of them I didn't know the course, and the B210 guy did, and I still timed out faster.

mine is an 84 RX Turbo. been quite extensively modified for rallying which includes:

internal:

kevlar seats + 6 point belts

momo wheel

brantz tripmeter

6 point cage with side intrusion bars

sparco intercom

under the hood:

forged pistons and some special rings (forget there name)

uprated oil pressure/pump

legacy radiator

FMIC

14psi boost on std turbo

adjustable boost

dump valve

strut brace

drivetrain:

centre bonded clutch (forget the exact details)

wrx ra gear box with custom mounts

shortened drive shaft

12kg centre viscius diff

4.11 ratio front/rear diffs

suspension:

front: custom 50mm height adj bilsteins / adjustable bottom arms / legacy brakes / heavier anti roll bar

rear: koni height adj shocks

misc:

total stripped out shell, all door panels replaces with light polycarb sheeting, all sound deadening has been taken out/ tank guards / full underbody potections + hell flaps over the rear suspension

rims:

5 x 13" standard steel rims

15 x 13" alloys - http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/80s/wheels2/wagalloy.jpg

8 x 14" standard steel rims

4 x 14" aftermarket alloys - http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/80s/wheels2/new-alloy.jpg

4 x 14" Enkei WRC alloys - http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/80s/wheels2/enkei_wrc_spirits_14_alloy.jpg

check out the car more at the site on my signature. we do the Top Half rally series in New Zealand. Have had a few engine failures in the last year, but next weekend (9-11th July) we are off to Rotorua for the Rally of Rotorua, which is a round of the APRC series, and the roads we are rallying on are the old stages from Rally New Zealand back in the mid 90's. Can't wait to get out and give it a nudge on the gravel

simon

nah, no posers, it's all about fun...not matter whether it is a rallyx, or a rally, least you are out there skidding.

parts are getting hard to come by over here too, the rims are like hens' teeth and I rue the day if I do some damage to them. there are still some floating about, but getting people to part with them is the hard part...

Whats up every body my name is shlema im new here and i got 1996 Subaru impreza 2.2L Sport Wagon I just want to ask if some one know where i can find good Cheap Exhaust System Maybe some one of you know Any sites couse i search for it i couldn't find one mybe some one know where i can find it ?

Thank You !

Subarurx I like your ride! I'm in NZ too :)

I have ea81T Leone rally car bit older than yours but great fun! I have had alot of work done to it, just got a LSD diff to go.

Looks like you are doing the Mainland Rallies. I was hoping to do them but have ran outta money. Still should hoping to do the Nelson and Westland rallies.

SUBARURX....Please, oh please tell me how much and if I could get this:

suspension:

front: custom 50mm height adj bilsteins

rear: koni height adj shocks

Also...where on earth did you find those WRC alloys??? *droooool*

SUBARURX I have a couple questions.

1 - Uprated oil pressure / pump . seems like a good idea do you have more details ?

2 - Legacy brakes . Did you need to modify or fabricate something to make them work or is a staight bolt on ?

other Legacy parts . It looks like legacys and EA-82 bodies have the same mounting set up for the top of the front strut but, not the same on the steering knuckle. I wonder if the axles are interchangeable or compatable.

some farmer's field, and the yard around the carbola. only since ther is no such thing as a rally scene around here, no automotive scene except for Dean Kruse and his record setting auctions, the Auburn-Cord-duesenberg festival