Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am at my wits end ! I have been replacing my harmonic balancer because the key and keyway are trashed. This appears to be a common problem on at least my model and year--91' legacy. I(we)-me and and a certified mechanic, marked both cam sprokets when aligned with the proper notches and then marked the crank sproket at the proper mark located just right of tdc. The work was done and everything was reinstalled. The car would start and idle roughly but would labor and die if throttle was applied. We tried several settings turning the crank back one tooth-two teeth/forward one tooth-two teeth etc. Nothing has worked --any ideas? My mechanic and I are stumped !!

Isnt the keyway part of the timing belt gear? That's how I recall it on my old Legacy. How about a new timing belt gear (read: new keyway) a new key and pulley? That should solve the main crank pulley wabbeling.

Tough one to diagnose; sounds like you guys have been doing a lot of work in there. In these situations I quadruple check anything I touched. Usually find something I forgot about or overlooked and go "DUH MORGAN!" plug it in and go :)

I'd start with trouble codes in the ECM to be honest. Might get lucky and find out its the MAF or something :/ One trick I do is pull the codes, write them down, clear the ECM, start it up again, and wait for more codes, pull those codes. That way you know for sure which ones are persistant and which ones were just stored from who knows when.

Good luck!

Isnt the keyway part of the timing belt gear? That's how I recall it on my old Legacy. How about a new timing belt gear (read: new keyway) a new key and pulley? That should solve the main crank pulley wabbeling.

Tough one to diagnose; sounds like you guys have been doing a lot of work in there. In these situations I quadruple check anything I touched. Usually find something I forgot about or overlooked and go "DUH MORGAN!" plug it in and go :)

I'd start with trouble codes in the ECM to be honest. Might get lucky and find out its the MAF or something :/ One trick I do is pull the codes, write them down, clear the ECM, start it up again, and wait for more codes, pull those codes. That way you know for sure which ones are persistant and which ones were just stored from who knows when.

Good luck!

Thanks man , I do appreciate the input ! I did install a new half-moon key, pulley and gear; that is why I do not understand the problem ! I am almost ready to take it to subaru and that is BAD !!!!! Thanks

Okay, didnt know you replaced that gear also.

I would focus now on what you guys touched :) All sensors plugged back in / bolted down ? Vacume lines are key; plug them in or plug them up!. Maybe the CAMS are off one tooth, not the crank? That would cuase some funny runing! Maybe just one cam is off by a tooth? Timing belts are bugger to get right sometimes.

Youll get it, dont take it to the stealership :D

Just to clarify......what marks are you using to align the cam sprockets & crank gear?

The cam sprockets should be aligned with the plastic covers. The crank gear should be aligned to the mark on the oil pump.

Here are pics of my t-belt job.....they may be able to help see if you have your aligment off

http://main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/timingbelt/

I have just about come to the conclusion that murphy's law has me by my crown jewels. All my marks are aligned as shown in your pics--dead on perfect ! I can only assume that the reluctor(crank sensor) decided to die at this most apropriate time or some other equally improbable item has surfaced. I believe I will start with the sensor; the car has 160k on it so anything is possible. I thank the powers that be because this engine is not an interference type ! I will keep you "abreast" of my progress. Thanks guys

Make sure you check the marks after the tensioner has been able to do its job. I just did a 2.2 belt and triple checked the marks. All looked fine even after turning it over by hand a few times, but it ran just like yours.

Pulled it apart and the marks were off. Reset the timing and Life was good.

Good Luck